Coordinates from address?

In short, I was wondering how you get the coordinates of an address. It seems like it would be possible with Google Maps or Google Earth, but I haven't quite found out how. I just need them to be relatively precise, and I can input them to my GPS easily. Thanks!

Edited by Bugler921

If you are willing to spend about $30, Street Atlas U.S.A. and Microsoft Streets and Trips will do it with just a mouse "hover" after performing the address search.

Accuracy is not always that great since address conventions vary widely among different locales and pretty much all mapping software is obsolete as soon as it is published because of new construction and changes.

if you are looking for sufficient accuracy to place or find a cache, you probably will be somewhat disappointed with any method other than simply going afield with your GPSr.

i used to calculate coordinates sufficiently accurate for FCC filings (about +-100feet) using an USGS 7.5 minute topo map, an engineer's scale, and a calculator. The hardest part is accurately locating the street address on the map. What used to take me an hour or so the "old way" I can now do in a heartbeat mouse-click with SAUSA.

SAUSA and MSStreets also enable very easy transfer of data into most GPSrs.

Edited by Confucius' Cat