Newbie GPS Questions, Magellan 500, Likely Very Simple

I just bought a Magellan 500, my first unit and just tested it last night to find a cache in Halifax, it worked, when I was on top of it, it said 2 M, my understanding is that that's very good.

I have 2 questions:

1. Is it normal for GPS receivers for the indicator pointing to a POI to only turn when you're moving? For example, last night I knew the general direction I was supposed to go from the hints, but when I turned my unit on, the unit was pointing me in the complete wrong direction, once I started to walk it woke up and pointed me the right way?

2. When I was on top of the cache I found the indicator was pointing away from the cache, 5 M away it was pointing the right way, then once I got under some heavy tree cover it seemed to get confused and pointed another direction, would that happen if the signal got weak undercover? I'm assuming that's what happened, but I'm just trying to make sure my unit is reasonably accurate.

Thanks in advance for any replies, I just want to make sure I got a decent unit that can handle the basics I'm looking for.

I just bought a Magellan 500, my first unit and just tested it last night to find a cache in Halifax, it worked, when I was on top of it, it said 2 M, my understanding is that that's very good.

I have 2 questions:

1. Is it normal for GPS receivers for the indicator pointing to a POI to only turn when you're moving? For example, last night I knew the general direction I was supposed to go from the hints, but when I turned my unit on, the unit was pointing me in the complete wrong direction, once I started to walk it woke up and pointed me the right way?

2. When I was on top of the cache I found the indicator was pointing away from the cache, 5 M away it was pointing the right way, then once I got under some heavy tree cover it seemed to get confused and pointed another direction, would that happen if the signal got weak undercover? I'm assuming that's what happened, but I'm just trying to make sure my unit is reasonably accurate.

Thanks in advance for any replies, I just want to make sure I got a decent unit that can handle the basics I'm looking for.

From my experience with the 500, the answers to both ?'s are yes.

(1) You need to be moving for it to indicate direction and (2) while I have not had too much experience in heavy tree cover {trees arn't real plentiful on Kansas plains} I have found the 500 to be very accurate.

I'll echo Jim's affirmations. The reason you have to be moving for the compass on the 500 to work only when you're moving is that it is a display based upon GPS signal. It only knows which way to point when it can figure out directions from changes in position. The Explorist 600 is a example of a GPS with a electronic magnetic compass, so it will be accurate even if stationary. But the 500 (and most other GPS models) have no way of knowing if you're standing in one place but rotating directions.

Magellans do have a feature that is sometimes helpful in these situations. On the compass screen are icons for moon and sun. If either of these are visible in the sky, and you align the compass so the icon(s) are lined up with the corresponding heavenly body, you should have a rough alignment of the compass to correct directions. (Magellan calls this "Northfinder.") It's not too useful on cloudy days or when the moon's not up or in the wrong phase, but sometimes it comes in handy.

The Explorist is pretty good under tree cover compared to other GPS devices, but signal strength will suffer.

I have 2 questions:

tiger,

Quite a few receivers operate in that manner. You have to be moving for the compass to point in the correct direction. :lol: We have a Garmin 76 CSx and the compass does not do that. Although pricey, these units do not switch directions when you stop moving. B) I'm sure someone else can explain the details of why they operate that way. Sorry, I am a newie too and am learning also.

Spacecadetz