Getting Accurate Coordinates

Hi,

I've set a microcache in Warwick where I live but have never been able to get a satisfactory coordinates reading for it as I think buildings are causing this (or perhaps it's the metal plate in my head, I don't know).

The coordinates I've given on the cache entry are about 20' off and the problem is further compounded by the fact that the microcache is situated in a small tunnel that passes through an old clock tower.

Google Maps finally now have some pretty decent satellite images of Warwick - before it was just a pixellated mess - and I've just now used the 'Show Reference Marker' facility to pinpoint the location of my microcache and it's giving me the following coordinates:

LAT: 52.28213

LNG: 1.58503

The question is, how do I translate these into the format that we use on the Geocaching site?

Do they become N52 28.213 W001 58.503 or am I as stupid as I think I am for not knowing the answer?

Many thanks for your help!

Darrell.

N52 16.928 W001 35.102

The format you posted is Decimal Degrees. You need to multiply the decimal part by 60 to get the minutes and post it in the Degrees, Decimal Minutes format you are used to seeing here on GC.com.

52.28213 ==> 52 (.28213*60) ==> N52 16.928

1.58503 ==> 1 (.58503*60) ==> W001 35.102

(I'm assuming you are N & W in the Lat & Lon)

Edited by Stunod

How do you KNOW that it is 20 foot off??

The accuracy of our small handheld units is typically about 15 to 25 feet. Sounds like you got a pretty good reading. Keep in mind that anybody hunting the cache will get equally accurate readings.

I would not rely on Google's maps to be more precise then that. I often see the Google maps about 40 foot off and up to 200 feet in our area.

I've just now used the 'Show Reference Marker' facility to pinpoint the location of my microcache and it's giving me the following coordinates:

PLEASE don't use coordinates from a mapping web site for your cache. Instead, use the coords that your GPSr shows after you've left it sitting still for several minutes and it will be close enough.

If your coords are only 20' off, you're doing great! People will find your cache with those coords, trust me on this.

Coords you get from mapping software will be much less accurate for folks in the field.

I would never use coordinates from a site such as that for my cache listing but, if you want an easy tool for coverting coordinates from one format to another you should try GeoCalc. It works well and is simple to use. Just put in the coordinates in whatever format you have and it coverts to several other formats.