GPS Suggestions

Canadiangeorunner

I am sure this question comes up lots but being new I'll ask it again. Which GPS do people recommend? Brand new to geocaching, found my first two recently when visiting family. Found them without GPS. Used google maps (good satellite pics). However, where I live the satellite pics aren't very good so I will need a GPS to go hunting. Right now the only use will be for geocaching, though might find use when I'm travelling. Would a Garmin etrex be good enough to start or is it better to spend some extra $$ and purchase a Legend or a Vista or some other model? Wondered what other new geocachers are using and what the experienced might recommend. Many of the caches in my area appear to be in forested areas so as with many people reception will be an important issue. Looking to keep cost down. Thanks for any input/suggestions. :rolleyes:

We bought one we thought would give us all capabities...geocaching, boating, and maps. I love our Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx. I think it's all what you want it to do for yourself. Tell ya the truth, we are newbies too! So I am certainly not qualified to answer any questions. Happy Hunting though!

Spacecadetz

We bought one we thought would give us all capabities...geocaching, boating, and maps. I love our Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx. I think it's all what you want it to do for yourself. Tell ya the truth, we are newbies too! So I am certainly not qualified to answer any questions. Happy Hunting though!

Spacecadetz

I went that route as well although the x models weren't available at that time. I started out looking at low end models and then ended up getting a GPSMAP 76CS as my first unit. I later sold it and got the 76CSx. I wanted color, electronic compass, full routing, big memory, etc. I use mine for routing on trips as well as for geocaching and I prefer the location of the buttons on the top of the unit. I'm clumsy and that placement makes sure I have the unit well in hand and I push the buttons with my thumb.

There are a lot of fine units out there for less but make sure to get one with a USB cable. I consider that a minimum feature for ease of use.

I'm new-ish too and my husband and I have a Garmin eTrex Legend C - nice little GPSr that gets the job done and it's easy to use.

We bought it on eBay from Edge GPS Inc. (they also have a website if you don't want to bid, but bids will get it cheaper for you), they have awesome customer service, quick accepting payment, great shipping and it's small business. The one we have is a refurbished unit but on a limited budget, I'm perfectly happy!

Happy Caching!

S <_<