Find Caches Along a Route

donbadabon

The last 2 days, it seems the "Find Caches Along a Route" option is broken:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Index and length must refer to a location within the string. Parameter name: length

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index and length must refer to a location within the string. Parameter name: length

Source Error:

Line 33: <td><%# ShowIsOwnerIcon(Databinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "CreatorID")) %></td>

Line 34: <td valign="top"><a href='<%# Databinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "RouteGuid", "../my/userrouteedit.aspx?rguid={0}") %>'><%# Databinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "RouteName") %></a></td>

Line 35: <td><%# ConvertToDescr(Databinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "Descr"), 60) %></td>

Line 36: <td><%# ConvertToMiles(Databinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "Distance")) %>

Line 37: Miles</td>

Source File: E:\Inetpub\200704.geocaching.com\controls\UserRoutesRepeaterControl.ascx Line: 35

I just tried to begin using this feature. I created a route in Mapsource and uploaded the GPX version of the file. The route displayed on the web site is a straight line, not the actual route as in Mapsource.

Is that a feature or a bug?

When Mapsource saves a route file, it saves primarily the nodes it needs to recreate the route itself. Since it only needs a few points to do this itself, so it does not bother to save all the turns along the way. To use Mapsource for the purpose you intend, go into properties and switch from autorouting to direct; now click a point to every turn that needs to be made, drawing a set of line segments as you do this. The resulting route should have all the points you selected. If you don't want to do all this work, then you the Google methods that are suggested.

Source Error:

Line 33: <td><%# ShowIsOwnerIcon(Databinder.Eval(Container.DataItem, "CreatorID")) %></td>

It looks like you have html code in the file you are uploading. Neither gpx nor kml have <td> tags. Review the procedure you are using and test the file before uploading. If that does not work, tell us how you create the file you are uploading and attach a sample to your post.

The problem is, I can't even make it to the part where I can upload a file. This error is occurring as soon as I click on the "Find Caches Along a Route" link.

Maybe I am the only one having this problem. I see it on both Firefox and IE.

Hi Don,

I just constructed a test route from Reston to VA Beach (although Google routed me to Smithfield instead of VA Beach) the Caches Along a Route feature worked perfectly. Saved KML, uploaded, and received approximately 200 caches 0.5 miles either side of the route. I'm using IE 7.

Bill