Caches involving a hike

Let's Take a Hike

There is also the option of caches along a hike. We're hiking from Topanga Canyon out to Parker Mesa in So. Cal. this week, and we discovered five GCs along the route.

If you are a premium member, you can plug the route of a hike into 'Caches Along a Route' and get a pocket query with the results.

Edited by imajeep

Use a hiking website or a book of local hike to find where you want hike. Then check on Geocaching.com if there are any caches. The Geocaching.com Google maps are also a good way to find caches that might be along a trail. Remember thought that caches are generally not allowed in US National Parks and that some local and state parks may have similar rules. But many areas along hiking trails are opened for geocaching. If you don't see a cache near where you want to hike, try to find out if it is because they are not allowed or if it just because no one has placed a cache there yet. If you can place a cache, then by all means think about leaving a cache.

Many a geocacher is not intrested in a quik dash and cache but is looking for an interesting hike. I've often been disappointed when the cache turned out to be within sight of my car.

Could caches have a designation indicating that a walk of some distance is involved.

:ph34r: Thanks to all the kind folks who have responded. I tried doing a pocket query for "involves a hike" and I got what looks like a good list of fun geocaches.

I also wish that caches had an approximate time to get there from a certain parking waypoint.

LPCs are surely less than 1 hour, but so is a cache .3 miles away. I wish that there was some type of rating or something to decide whether or not to try a cache at the time.

I also wish that caches had an approximate time to get there from a certain parking waypoint.

LPCs are surely less than 1 hour, but so is a cache .3 miles away. I wish that there was some type of rating or something to decide whether or not to try a cache at the time.

A cache that requires a hike would have different time ratings per hiker as each hiker's ability will vary a lot. It takes me about 4-5 hours to do 9 miles on one trail and 8 hours to do 6 miles on another trail. Those same trails can be cut by a third by one hiker I know, and again by anopther third by another more capable hiker.

Some caches are just going to require the seeker to assess by their own skills and limitations what it might take. Not everything can be spoonfed in AOL fashion.

Edited by TotemLake