Finding Geocoins

Sytar

I was wondering with many of the Geocoins that are left in Caches, are they ever kept? The FTF coins seem like something that the Cache owner would leave in the cache for the first finder. But when you do find it, what do you do?

I have seen the FTF Geocoins that are traveling the same as a Travelbug or other Geocoin. Is this the way that they all work, or are some designed to be collectables?

I guess my overall reason for asking is that I am looking at making some Geocoins and wanted to know how they are handled. I have only found coins/bugs that are already moving and have never had a new one.

Although I have placed over 20-25 Unactivated coins in caches, The only time I have found one is at a cache that was placed on behalf of me. There was an unactivated Geocoin and an Unactivated TB tag. I let my buddy have the TB (It was his first) and I left the geocoin (Didnt want to wipe out all the prizes) But I left another for the hider!

A FTF prize is YOURS! for what ever you want to do with it. Heres a FTF coin I left in my 2nd cache placed, The finders had me activated it and send it on its mission of Starting new caches and being FTF for many...But its hung up at Geowoodstock (GW5)

If you are gonna leave some of them as unactivated prizes, You should leave a note in the Flippy page or in the log. Or activate it and adopt it out to the finder. Its all up to you :lol: But I have seen confusion after an unactivated coin was found with out them knowing it was unactivated.

If you find an activated coin in a cache it's a traveller, intended to be moved from cache to cache like a travel bug.

If it's unactivated, still in it's wrapper or has an activation code slip in its sleeve, it's trade swag - about $5-10 worth. So trade fairly for it.

If you buy a coin from a coin maker, a vendour or ebay re-seller you can either keep it as part of a collection, trade it or activate it and release it.

To make your own coin check the pinned threads at the top of the thread list.

If a coin is activated, it wants to travel. Or rather, its owners want it to. The FTF coins would make a good prize for FTF, but theres no rule about it, they're for sale..its up to whoever buys em. Sometimes people leave unactivated coins in caches; but in general, if you find a coin in a cache assume that it's activated and wants to travel... if it's not, you'll find out when you try to log it!

Geocoins are meant to travel, but a lot of people (myself included) keep them in collections. I have a couple of travellers, and a couple of replicas, and a bunch that just sit in a binder, and get taken out a few at a time to go to events with me. The price of your coin will probably be the determining factor in how many end up in caches and how many end up in binders.

Although I have placed over 20-25 Unactivated coins in caches, The only time I have found one is at a cache that was placed on behalf of me. There was an unactivated Geocoin and an Unactivated TB tag. I let my buddy have the TB (It was his first) and I left the geocoin (Didnt want to wipe out all the prizes) But I left another for the hider!

A FTF prize is YOURS! for what ever you want to do with it. Heres a FTF coin I left in my 2nd cache placed, The finders had me activated it and send it on its mission of Starting new caches and being FTF for many...But its hung up at Geowoodstock (GW5)

If you are gonna leave some of them as unactivated prizes, You should leave a note in the Flippy page or in the log. Or activate it and adopt it out to the finder. Its all up to you :angry: But I have seen confusion after an unactivated coin was found with out them knowing it was unactivated.

Thanks for the reply. I was guessing that this was the unspoken procedure for coins, although I wish I could keep some of the cool ones that I have found. :lol:

I will do as I should and keep them moving along, and maybe one day I will be the lucky one to find a cache that has one that is unactivated. :D

I am looking into creating one of my own, with those I guess i could simply drop them in a cache as a trade item (unactivated) or activate them and start them moving. I would wonder if you dropped 5 in one cache if there would be an issue of someone snagging all 5, rather then just 1? Geocaching as a whole is on the honor system more then anything.

Thanks for the reply. I was guessing that this was the unspoken procedure for coins, although I wish I could keep some of the cool ones that I have found. :lol:

I will do as I should and keep them moving along, and maybe one day I will be the lucky one to find a cache that has one that is unactivated. :D

I am looking into creating one of my own, with those I guess i could simply drop them in a cache as a trade item (unactivated) or activate them and start them moving. I would wonder if you dropped 5 in one cache if there would be an issue of someone snagging all 5, rather then just 1? Geocaching as a whole is on the honor system more then anything.

There is of course nothing wrong with taking pictures to remember the coin, and some people even keep them for a little while loging them in and out of caches as they travel to pick up some mileage, before dropping them in a cache for others to enjoy.

Edited by Nero

There is of course nothing wrong with taking pictures to remember the coin, and some people even keep them for a little while loging them in and out of caches as they travel to pick up some mileage, before dropping them in a cache for others to enjoy.

Not only is there nothing wrong with taking pictures for memories, owners love to see pictures that you post :lol:

One of the coins that I recently picked up, I used as a card marker in a friendly poker game. Call it superstition, but I won. That is the first time that I have won, so I was going to try and use it next game also, but I don't want to keep the coin out too long. I will have to try and get one of my own to use as a marker, then I won't have the lingering feeling that I REALLY should send it on its way. :lol: