Pre-programmed SD Cards

I plan on getting a new GPSr in the near future...either the Venture Cx or the Legend HCx.

I know basically nothing about the expandable memory. Can I use both the "Garmin MapSource Topo United States Pre-Programmed MicroSD Cards" and the "Garmin City Navigator NT North America Pre-Programmed MicroSD Card" by swapping the cards out as needed?

Pardon my lack of technical knowledge!!!

Thanks

Helga

I plan on getting a new GPSr in the near future...either the Venture Cx or the Legend HCx.

I know basically nothing about the expandable memory. Can I use both the "Garmin MapSource Topo United States Pre-Programmed MicroSD Cards" and the "Garmin City Navigator NT North America Pre-Programmed MicroSD Card" by swapping the cards out as needed?

Pardon my lack of technical knowledge!!!

Thanks

Helga

Yes, you can do that. I am not inclined to recommend that method. For less money you can get City Nav on DVD, Topo on DVD, and a 2 gb card and accomplish the same goal, and have the flexibility to add maps in the future.

Another question...if I buy the DVDs, can I also use the maps on my husbands older Garmin or is it a one time only deal...i am not familiar with the "unlocking"

Thanks

Helga

In the past locked maps could be loaded to 2 GPS units. Garmin's recent policy change allows only one unlock per map. That means that particular maps is lokced to that particular GPS unit. This only applies to City Navigator maps, the other maps are not locked.

Another question...if I buy the DVDs, can I also use the maps on my husbands older Garmin or is it a one time only deal...i am not familiar with the "unlocking"

Thanks

Helga

Topo is not locked, so, yes. CN NT will only work on the most recent units, so probably not. You could buy the non-NT version of City Navigator and you would probably be OK. These maps take up more space (NT is compressed differently), so you would need a larger card to load all the segments at one time. Using TOPO and CN v8 you probably will run into the 2025 map segment limit before you fill up the card.

According to my latest correspondence with Garmin's technical staff, if you buy the current version (v8 NT or non-NT)) you can still request a second unlock code. Future map releases will have only 1 unlock code.

Do the pre-loaded cards have to be 'unlocked' for the particular unit's unique ID? I'd like to be able to purchase a pre-loaded card when I travel, for example New Zealand, and the resell it later with little to no loss.

I'm in the UK and use a preloaded Topo card - the map is locked to the card not to a GPSr so re-selling is OK.

The Uk is however divided into 11 regions so buying cards for the whole country would be silly - I'm lucky in that one card covers everywhere I'm likely to go.

New Zealand is available in Topo.