Downloading multiple GPX files

mlviper30

When I do searh for caches near a zip code. And get a couple page list of caches. I hit the check all and download. And it only pulls the loc files. :rolleyes: I would like to pull GPX. :D I have a current prem. membership.

And how do I tell it to download all of them, insted of going page to page?

Thanks,

Matt

This is a perfectly reasonable feature request. I should know since I asked for this a while ago also to be dismissed with the curt PQ statement.

Pocket Queries are your friend.

Yes, they are, but only if you are paying for this 'free' sport of geocaching. There are many standard members who would like this feature and it can actually generate interest in people to pay for premium membership.

But to implement this downloading of 20 waypoints as GPS you might want to restrict it to say 25 downloads per day (equivalent to the 5 PQ's of 500 limit).

I had heard that there are something like 80% standard members and 20% premium+. Is that correct?

If so then PQ's should never be the first answer to all questions like this.

It IS the first answer because of what the original poster asked:

I hit the check all and download. And it only pulls the loc files. I would like to pull GPX. I have a current prem. membership.

The implementation of Pocket Queries is a premium membership solution. The GPX files contain much more data that the LOC files. Jeremy has given a great analogy: the LOC files (and the results of a query) are the Table of Contents, while the GPX files are the whole book.

I see nothing wrong with giving non-paying players access to the data in a limited fashion, and offering convenience perks to premium paying members.

If the original poster had said I hit the check all and download. And it only pulls the loc files. I would like to pull GPX. I not a premium member, then the answer would have been different:

For non-premium members, Groundspeak has indicated that the GPX files are a convenience offered to premium members through pocket queries or one-at-a-time downloads. Non-premium members are unfortunately stuck with just the LOC files.

Edited by Markwell

Pocket Queries are your friend.

<some portion snipped> Yes, they are, but only if you are paying for this 'free' sport of geocaching. There are many standard members who would like this feature and it can actually generate interest in people to pay for premium membership.

I had heard that there are something like 80% standard members and 20% premium+. Is that correct?

If so then PQ's should never be the first answer to all questions like this.

I think you have the wrong impression of free. There are some things you can receive without charge. Nothing is free. Jeremy has promised to keep Geocaching "free". If you can read most Cache Pages and then manually enter coords to your GPS he has kept that promise. Don't make the mistake of now claiming entitlement to more advanced features.

I estimate that more than half of the Geocachers I know are Premium Members. And Premium is not a better or worse description. A flood can generate interest in flood insurance. So giving away more and more content for free generates interest in spending money? Were you the author of "voodoo economics"?.