Another Grumble

First it was maps, which Edgemaster has resolved but I also notice that the Cache Setters description has been changed to include a 'description' of the type/size of the cache. So my puzzle ? caches now say:-

a not chosen cache by 2202

or

a micro cache by 2202

or

a event cache by walkergeoff and Mr Dewdrop (can not get their grammar right there)

Too much tinkering methinks.

I think the idea is that it will make a cute-looking sentence (albeit without verb) to describe the cache this way. Unfortunately the code is very naïve. It seems to look like this (I hope the non-geeks can follow):

say "a "

if cache-type = "event" or cache-type = "virtual"

then say cache-type

else

if cache-size is known

then say cache-size

else say "not chosen"

endif

endif

I can think of at least three improvements here:

- a Webcam cache should always say "webcam", like "event" or "virtual", since the size is meaningless.

- "a event" looks ugly

- if the size is not chosen, it should not output anything, or at least say "a cache of unknown size".

This kind of cute stuff is fun, but I wonder if it needed to be this far up the priority list compared to the number of watchers (was that removed deliberately?), or the GCXXX issue in the page title and elsewhere.

Well apart from the fact that it is an event, not a event.

Could it not be written as

by 2202 (an event cache)

by 2202 (a micro cache)

by 2202 (a large cache)

etc etc..

Tony (Off sick and nothing much else to do)

I can think of at least three improvements here:

- a Webcam cache should always say "webcam", like "event" or "virtual", since the size is meaningless.

- "a event" looks ugly

- if the size is not chosen, it should not output anything, or at least say "a cache of unknown size".

This kind of cute stuff is fun, but I wonder if it needed to be this far up the priority list compared to the number of watchers (was that removed deliberately?), or the GCXXX issue in the page title and elsewhere.

I agree.

I guess that you've also posted this on the main thread (haven't checked). It looks like there's a lot of tinkering going on, and it's on-going. It seems to be a slight change in approach, in that it appears to be made "live" without any beta testing.