Can we get a definite on what Units have SiRF III Chip?

I am shopping for a hand held GPS I have researched a bit on these forums and I have found that the Etrex Vista CX or the 60 is the probably the best way to go. I have realized that I am a stickler for signal and I read on about Quad Helix vs Patch antennas as well.

I was trying to find specs on these units on weather or not they do have the SiRF III chipset. Not to say that since they just mention it is a highly sensitive one isn't as good. I really don't know but from what I know this SiRF III is the best way to go.

So if someone knows for sure please let me know or what you know about the current highly sensitive chips these other ones have.

I am shopping for a hand held GPS I have researched a bit on these forums and I have found that the Etrex Vista CX or the 60 is the probably the best way to go. I have realized that I am a stickler for signal and I read on about Quad Helix vs Patch antennas as well.

I was trying to find specs on these units on weather or not they do have the SiRF III chipset. Not to say that since they just mention it is a highly sensitive one isn't as good. I really don't know but from what I know this SiRF III is the best way to go.

So if someone knows for sure please let me know or what you know about the current highly sensitive chips these other ones have.

You can find this information on the Garmin website. Those with the SiRF III chip will be noted as having the "High-sensitivity receiver".

Garmin GPSMAP 60 Csx has the SIRF III chipset, but the eTrex Vista Cx does not. Difference in reception is noticeable. With my Vista, I could only get a fix in a clearing. With my 60, I can get one just about anywhere.

Wow if thats is the way it is I must go for one of those.

I've read rumors about that Garmin is abandoning the SiRFstar III chipset in future models. These would use a high-sensitivity chip from Mediatek instead. I don't know if it's true, though.

But it would explain using the phrase "high-sensitivity receiver" without displaying the SiRF logo.

Yahoo finance has a report from March 1, 2007 indicating the Garmin had finished validating the chips and would begin placing orders with MediaTek 'in the first quarter" which means now. From what I can find these are A-GPS standard.

There are a number of reports out there of a number of companies, also including Tom-Tom, who have been dropping Sirf company chips. Sirf is just being out performed on the power consumption and sensitivity sides, not to mention the smaller form factor of A-GPS. As well, these other manufacturers are selling their chips for a lower price (GPS on a single chip has a lot to do with that). There's a lot of price pressure in the market these days because of the choice so reducing the price of the core components makes lots of sense to Garmin.

It would appear that Sirf got the head start on higher sensitivity chips but their technology and price points haven't kept up.

JD