Best Caches in the Northwest

Ok Here's the deal. I currently live in the US (Georgia) but I will be going "home" to Bolton for a month next week and I'm looking for some geocaches to do when we're there. When I put my parents post code into the search I get hundreds of caches but I don't have time to read through all the descriptions and pick out the ones that sound best so I'm hoping you'll share some of your favourites/ must finds with me.

Here's a little background. It's me, my hubby (American, history buff), 3 kids (11, 5, 3) and assorted British family members who are waiting for us to introduce them to Geocaching. We're relative newbies - have only been caching since January of this year. We're open to all types of caches - traditional, micro, mystery, virtual and multis but preferably ones we can do with the kids (no 9 mile hikes please! made that mistake already :) )

Also I have a travel bug who's goal is to get to Manchester (and drink lots of pints along the way) so can anyone recommend a cache in the Manchester/Bolton area that gets LOTS of traffic.

TIA Jo

A list of caches, rated in top 5%, near to BOLTON

<==prev Showing 1 to 25 of 980 next==>

You sank my battleship! GCJRQ1

HORWICH

Miseryguts GCXMDG

ADLINGTON

Pumping Station Nº 12039 GCWN8A SD621142

ADLINGTON

Fibonacci Sequences at Anglezarke GCYYA3 SD628159

ADLINGTON

Raided! GCVWTM SD633173

HORWICH

Great Hill Farm GC10W4G SD641189

CHORLEY

Bleak House GCYF98 SD636191

CHORLEY

It's Raining Kippers...... GCT0JY SD626187

CHORLEY

Let's go dogging in Duxbury GCZ6VY SD584150

CHORLEY

Wait Until Dark 2 GCMW16 SD628213

CHORLEY

Pixelation : FINAL GCZFQ5 SD622264

BLACKBURN

K GCVMZ1 SJ682871

LYMM

Geo-Sleuth GCRVZW SJ498974

ST HELENS

Roman Coin Hoard GCPX5N SJ599864

WARRINGTON

Ightenhill Circular - Last Stop GCWH8B SD825337

BURNLEY

Enigma Nine (TTFN) GCWZNK SJ487952

ST HELENS

That's Magic- Smile or Scowl GCKYFA SJ681809

NORTHWICH

Enigma Eight (Q Branch) GCWFEV SJ485908

PRESCOT

LIBERATOR GC11G17 SE008016

OLDHAM

Subaru Impreza 2.0 32v GT/VTR-Ti DOHC VVT Mi16 BRM GCZY95 SD430167

ORMSKIRK

Motorway Madness - The Madness Ends... GCR00B SJ754783

KNUTSFORD

Fait Accompli GCJ82C SK019995

GLOSSOP

X GCT3HG SJ722768

KNUTSFORD

Enigma (Bridge of Spies) GCV7TQ SJ525833

RUNCORN

Friday the 13th GCYV36 SJ490848

WIDNES

From GUK

Ok Here's the deal. I currently live in the US (Georgia) but I will be going "home" to Bolton for a month next week and I'm looking for some geocaches to do when we're there. When I put my parents post code into the search I get hundreds of caches but I don't have time to read through all the descriptions and pick out the ones that sound best so I'm hoping you'll share some of your favourites/ must finds with me.

Here's a little background. It's me, my hubby (American, history buff), 3 kids (11, 5, 3) and assorted British family members who are waiting for us to introduce them to Geocaching. We're relative newbies - have only been caching since January of this year. We're open to all types of caches - traditional, micro, mystery, virtual and multis but preferably ones we can do with the kids (no 9 mile hikes please! made that mistake already :) )

Also I have a travel bug who's goal is to get to Manchester (and drink lots of pints along the way) so can anyone recommend a cache in the Manchester/Bolton area that gets LOTS of traffic.

TIA Jo

Hello Jo.

I'm one of about four active cachers in Bolton. I'll send you an email.

Most of the ones in Markandlynn's list are puzzles and multis. I am big fan of puzzles and multi's but not everyone is so bear that in mind. You could also come on to the North West Caching forum.

Paul

MarkandLynn have mentioned the Enigma series which are excellent fun, but be warned you have to download and use an Enigma Machine simulator to solve them.

You should have plenty of good advice from the Bolton/Chorley cachers - have fun and let me know if St Helens gets on to your route.