Memory Map and "cropping" maps

Does anyone know if it is possible to create a custom map area in Memory Map by selecting or marking out a specific area?

For example, If I wanted to get map coverage 1 mile either side of a stretch of motorway, A road or canal etc

I know I can resize the map window to get an area but that only works best along horizontal or vertical areas, not twisting or diagonal ones.

Any help much appreciated :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Create a circular route round the area you want. Just keep on clicking for new waypoints until you end up where you started and doubleclick.

Once you have this circular route, which can of course be any shape you like, right click on the route, and one of the options is to export the enclosed area as a map section.

Edited by Learned Gerbil
Create a circular route round the area you want. Just keep on clicking for new waypoints until you end up where you started and doubleclick.

Once you have this circular route, which can of course be any shape you like, right click on the route, and one of the options is to export the enclosed area as a map section.

Fantastic tip.

Top Tip Today!

Now I know why you are the "Learned" Gerbil.

Nice one - never to young to learn new tricks.

I'd like to export an entire map from the laptop to the PDA, but there seems to be a limit of 400 mb or so (not sure the exact number). As a result, I have a lot of pieces of map on the SD card.

Does anyone know of a way round this limitation?

I'd like to export an entire map from the laptop to the PDA, but there seems to be a limit of 400 mb or so (not sure the exact number). As a result, I have a lot of pieces of map on the SD card.

You are probably best off having several maps on your PDA. I have found that running large maps on mine significantly slows down the PDA and has caused it to lock up/crash. :o

You are probably best off having several maps on your PDA. I have found that running large maps on mine significantly slows down the PDA and has caused it to lock up/crash. :o

I have the the whole of England and Wales (MM v4, regions 1 - 8 incl) running on a hi speed 4GB sd card - no problems. Each region loaded as a single file at around 300-350MB. Takes about 3GB leaving 1GB for all the other stuff (about 0.5GB) and around 05.GB always kept free.

Can't check it right now but I think if you size your map window so that just the part you want is showing and do "Export visible portion" does that work in v4?

Yeah that works fine on all versions (I think). It's how I've been using it up till now, but I could really use the "custom crop" maps. Now, thanks to the Gerbil, I can :(

Yes it is, though not directly. Right click on the routes, convert them to tracks. You can then join and split the tracks. When you're happy, convert the tracks back to routes again.

Thanks Pharisee :laughing:

It was a little tricky, as I didn't realise the tracks had to be VERY close together to get them to join. All sorted now though.

Thanks for your help :laughing: