Coonection problem

Help! my new Mio p550 has suddenly lost its connectivity via Active Synch. :ph34r: I can charge it through the usb lead connected to my computer but it suddenly won't synch. I have tried updating to version 4.5 but still no good.

I need to send MemoryMaps to it for my afternoon caching, can anyone please help? Please!

You are actually using Microsoft's 'Inactive Outofsync'...... My Mio quite often just disconnects for no reason!! Turn it off and back on again. Active sync should kick in!.

Bit of advice if you want to transfer large maps. Don't use Active Sync!! Its really really slow. I bought a simple multi card reader (Trust brand from www.7dayshop.com) and just put the SD card into that and transfer the files directly. Much quicker! You have to transfer the Mem Map 'overlay' data via active sync but that is small!

Have fun!

Chris

You have to transfer the Mem Map 'overlay' data via active sync but that is small!

That's what most folks think, but it's not the case. You can export an mmo file and just put that on your card. All you then do on the PPC is double click on the mmo file in file explorer, and providing memory map is open, it will load it in. You can therefore have several overlays stored on your card, and you can switch between them.

T

Thanks for your suggestions everyone. Over the last few days it had been turned off and on a few times. I also uninstalled and re-installed active synch.

I eventually got round to reading the manual! It suggested doing a hard reset which is what I did and it now seems to have an active connection again.

I do have a multicard reader which I have used to transfer music. I haven't sorted out Media player yet!

Off to install maps and go caching now! :ph34r:

You have to transfer the Mem Map 'overlay' data via active sync but that is small!

That's what most folks think, but it's not the case. You can export an mmo file and just put that on your card.<snip>

Thash brilliant, thank you. I was just in the middle of whingeing about this very thing. I wonder if you can help with this one:

I use active sync version 4.0 because updating to version 4.5 means my PDA won’t connect (it’s a Mio A201) to my tablet PC. Might a hard reset do it?

While this is a bit irritating I can handle it. What’s even more annoying is that when I connect the Mio to my tablet pc, the wireless connection dies and I lose internet connectivity until I restart the computer with the cables unplugged. It tries to reconnect but fails repeatedly.

Before reading about mmo files as quoted above, this was a major chew but that’s REALLY helped! Many thanks. The only problem I have now is that if I want to update the Mio software via the PC while connected to the ‘net, I can’t, so directly installing updates to the PDA (like Tom Tom stuff) is a “no no” as it’ll immediately lose the Internet connection.

I suspect it’s a network conflict but I’m cruising on the edge of my knowledge about this stuff.

Help! my new Mio p550 has suddenly lost its connectivity via Active Synch. :P I can charge it through the usb lead connected to my computer but it suddenly won't synch. I have tried updating to version 4.5 but still no good.

I need to send MemoryMaps to it for my afternoon caching, can anyone please help? Please!

I too use a Mio P550, but don't use memory map yet. I've had the same problem with 'Active (not on your life) sync' - worked OK for a while then refused to see the PDA. Tried soft / hard reset, firewall settings etc but no go. Finally restored the P550 to factory settings, reinstalled my software / data files and as the PC needed a bit of a clean, formatted its hard drive and installed all programs afresh - plenty of hours work later it was still the same! :ph34r: oh how I hate that Sync program.

In the end I abandoned the USB lead for file transfer and now use the 'Bluetooth' option which 'Active Sync' is happy to work with. By the way I also contacted Mio about the connectivity problem - they were not much use either.

So if you have problems in the future, you might like to try the bluetooth option as a work around.

In the end I abandoned the USB lead for file transfer and now use the 'Bluetooth' option which 'Active Sync' is happy to work with. By the way I also contacted Mio about the connectivity problem - they were not much use either.

So if you have problems in the future, you might like to try the bluetooth option as a work around.

That is very disheartening as I don't have bluetooth on my PC. I'm afraid to say I'm not hearing good things about Mio all round. I've looked in other forums.

Its worth checking the Mio website out for software updates for the P550. There is on there to cure a lock up problem when the battery goes flat.

Personally I find the Mio works OK with both my PC and laptop allowing for the occaisonal 'loss' of active sync - but unplugging it and plugging it back in gets it back again. I never transfer files via active sync - it's too slow, I always use the card reader. This includes POI files for TomTom and map updates for same.

Re transferring the MMO overlay via the card reader - its only a small file and transfer via active sync fine - but I do it that way because I'm using 'Lordelphs icons' and not sure how they would translate by saving the overlay as an MMO file.

I wouldn't swap my Mio now - does what I need!

Chris

That is very disheartening as I don't have bluetooth on my PC. I'm afraid to say I'm not hearing good things about Mio all round. I've looked in other forums.

My laptop does not have in built bluetooth either, so I got a Bluetooth USB adaptor by Belkin, pluged it into one of the USB ports, installed the software and bingo - one laptop with bluetooth capability. I seem to remember it was about £15 or so. Hope this helps.

I wouldn't swap my Mio now - does what I need!

I totaly agree, beside the active sync problem, which I by-pass using bluetooth, it has been a great piece of kit which does all that I want. Even managed to find a cache using the in built GPS and cachemate! :ph34r:

Al

While this is a bit irritating I can handle it. What’s even more annoying is that when I connect the Mio to my tablet pc, the wireless connection dies and I lose internet connectivity until I restart the computer with the cables unplugged. It tries to reconnect but fails repeatedly.

Mine does the same - its a built in 'feature' that wireless is disabled when the mio is connected to the PC. It doesn't bother me personally, but I have a feeling I've seen a setting to tell it to keep its connection. I'll post again if I find anything...

Dave

Re transferring the MMO overlay via the card reader - its only a small file and transfer via active sync fine - but I do it that way because I'm using 'Lordelphs icons' and not sure how they would translate by saving the overlay as an MMO file.

It behaves in exactly the same way. The one and only advantage of using mmo files is that you can have more than one in there ready to use. For example if we are going away to several different places I find it easier to have an overlay ready for each one, rather than one big overlay. If you never need to do this and your active sync works fine, then there's really no reason to change.

T

That's what most folks think, but it's not the case. You can export an mmo file and just put that on your card. All you then do on the PPC is double click on the mmo file in file explorer, and providing memory map is open, it will load it in. You can therefore have several overlays stored on your card, and you can switch between them.

T

Many thanks Becky, that is a really useful tip which I will be very glad to use. When are you going into print with your guide to electronics and geocaching? :)

Mine does the same - its a built in 'feature' that wireless is disabled when the mio is connected to the PC. It doesn't bother me personally, but I have a feeling I've seen a setting to tell it to keep its connection. I'll post again if I find anything...

Dave

I look forward to it!!

Earlier I said my Mio was great and I wouldn't swap it for anything.... well that was before it completly packed up. Darn thing is a pile of poo as far as I am concerned!!!

Left it on charge overnight and now it just won't boot up anymore - hangs on the Windows Mobile screen. Tried reseting it, switching it off everything!!

Ho hum, back to Mio with it I suppose!!

Chris

Edited by The Blorenges

Earlier I said my Mio was great and I wouldn't swap it for anything.... well that was before it completly packed up. Darn thing is a pile of poo as far as I am concerned!!!

Left it on charge overnight and now it just won't boot up anymore - hangs on the Windows Mobile screen. Tried reseting it, switching it off everything!!

Chris

It might be a bit late now for you Chris, but there's a known problem with the Mio P350/P550 where it sometimes hangs on boot up after a flat battery. To help others in the future, take a look at the patch on this link.

Chris

It might be a bit late now for you Chris, but there's a known problem with the Mio P350/P550 where it sometimes hangs on boot up after a flat battery. To help others in the future, take a look at the patch on this link.

I do have the patch installed (when it came out). This looks like something more serious!! It boots up but hangs on the Windows Mobile screen!

Chris