advice on maps needed

i have been searching through previous posts but am still unsure. we have a etrex legend, blue. the basemap has been fine and we own a couple of os explorer maps, but we have found if we go further afield we could do with a bit more detail we went to ashdown forest at the weekend and we struggled a little as not all the roads we marked. so we thought we would look at getting some maps on the garmin. help! what do we need? all the sofware is expensive so we dont want to get the wrong one. we would only need the uk as we don't really travel abroad. any advice welcome thanks

chris

i have been searching through previous posts but am still unsure. we have a etrex legend, blue. the basemap has been fine and we own a couple of os explorer maps, but we have found if we go further afield we could do with a bit more detail we went to ashdown forest at the weekend and we struggled a little as not all the roads we marked. so we thought we would look at getting some maps on the garmin. help! what do we need? all the sofware is expensive so we dont want to get the wrong one. we would only need the uk as we don't really travel abroad. any advice welcome thanks

chris

Chris i had one of the etrex blues and found mapsource to be very good mapping software and probably the cheapest you'll find there has been posts recently about that and using back up copies as this is permitted or so it was said.

Seems you're limited to what map products you can have on your etrex according to the Garmin website. On this link that I have placed here it takes you to the page that lists the map products for your garmin. Your garmin has 8MB of memory. If thats too technical, read it as 'not a lot of space to store funky maps with information of lots roads, lakes, forests etc'.

I only have experience of a different model Garmin with more detailed maps, so hopefully other etrex owners may able to advise you but from where I'm standing it looks like you may have to stick with your etrax basemap and OS Explorer maps. :laughing: