Try not to become a reason for CITO

:) When searching for a cache yesterday (Sunday), I happened upon a bit of an unpleasent sight... :cool:

3 sheets of paper, Inkjet printout, of a cache.. YES, the name of the user was on the page as well.. :huh:

When I found the cache, the person had written their log the previous day, so the papers had been either sitting against the downed treee wherer I found them, or blown there by the wind..

In a nutshell, Keep a firm hold on printouts, or, if you can, save the text of the printout, and dump it to a plain text file.. Most PDA's, and even some MP3 players have E-Book capability (this even works for Non-Premium

members. ) B)

When I call-up a main page for a cache, with clues, I do a copy, paste from the web browser, to a simple text file, and later feed the text file either to a Palm (using the memopad), or save the text file to a MP3 player

which has the ability to read text files to the screen. (iRiver H10 20GB)..

Just, let's not become the reason for CITO.. Like the signs say at most parks, If you carry it in, Carry it out with you. :cool:

Stephen (gelfling6)

This is good advice. Most cachers would want to hang onto them. Sometimes they do fall out of the pack and land behind you so quietly you do not hear them fall and don't notice until you need the cache page at the next cache. The good thing is, it's paper, it's made from wood and will bio-degrade. And that you came along to pick them up! ;)

:P When searching for a cache yesterday (Sunday), I happened upon a bit of an unpleasent sight... :tired:

3 sheets of paper, Inkjet printout, of a cache.. YES, the name of the user was on the page as well.. :sad:

When I found the cache, the person had written their log the previous day, so the papers had been either sitting against the downed treee wherer I found them, or blown there by the wind..

In a nutshell, Keep a firm hold on printouts, or, if you can, save the text of the printout, and dump it to a plain text file.. Most PDA's, and even some MP3 players have E-Book capability (this even works for Non-Premium

members. ) :anicute:

When I call-up a main page for a cache, with clues, I do a copy, paste from the web browser, to a simple text file, and later feed the text file either to a Palm (using the memopad), or save the text file to a MP3 player

which has the ability to read text files to the screen. (iRiver H10 20GB)..

Just, let's not become the reason for CITO.. Like the signs say at most parks, If you carry it in, Carry it out with you. :huh:

Stephen (gelfling6)

But, hey, if you want to drop your PDA, GPS, compass... or some other useful, non-biodegradable trinks as you're leaving a cache site, I'll be happy to CITO up after ya!!

But, hey, if you want to drop your PDA, GPS, compass... or some other useful, non-biodegradable trinks as you're leaving a cache site, I'll be happy to CITO up after ya!!

LOL! Yeah, I imagine you would.. :P

Well, actually, the paper itself might not always be biodegradable. some have a thin plastic coat to them. Retains the ink, prevents bleeding (wet ink, spreading away from the printed info)

Also, I seem to remember, not all inks, despite being water based, are 100% non-toxic either. :sad::anicute:

Just, the base which eartha hit upon.. Why become part of the problem? Keep an eye on your things.

Side note, I ran into this with one cache, in kind of a remote place, that looked like it was either vandalized, or BEAR Fodder. The cache box was broken open, items strewn about. Despite being left for close to 1/2 a month (since the last log entry) and raining, the items survived, but no log book, no pen, some powdered drink packets still sealed, despite paper outside being soaked.

Majority of the items in a cache, are non-biodegradable. they should last awhile out in the woods. But, if left loose (box open, plastic bags flying from wind, etc.) they could pose a problem too..

I usually keep my PDA in my back pocket (unless I'm sitting.. Very uncormfortable! :tired: ) and my GPS in my hand at all times (till I put it down to fill in a log book.) BUT... I do remember to pick it back up again.

Stephen (gelfling6)