2 Q's: TB Pics and GPS Best Practice

tolkien_princess

1. I picked up a TB and have logged it. I'd like to take a picture but don't see a way to upload it to the TB's gallery. Nor can I attach a picture when emailing the owner.

2. Today was our first geocache find and I"m using a new Garmin etrex vista cx. When we were close to the caches, (100 ft) the compass seemed a bit screwy. It would point one way to head but if I turned to head that way then it would point a different way. Are there some tricks to get the best reading (e.g. holding it flat, etc.)?

Thanks,

the Z's

1. You need to have the photo sitting in a directory on your PC.

When you post a log, (Retrieve, note, etc) after you hit submit you will see a link to [upload image]. Click that and select Browse. Drill down to the directory where your photo is at, select it, type in a File Caption if you wish, and then Upload.

If you have already made the post, visit the bug page and select [visit log] to get the upload option.

2. Not sure if it's an issue on the cx but on the older ones you need to make sure you recalibrate the compass after every battery change.

oh and you have to keep a steady walk. Standing still the gps gets confused on which way you are headed.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Thanks all,

I realized when I stand still the gps compass arrow points to magnetic north as it reverts to a true compass. But when I move forward to goes to geocache find mode and points to the direction of the cache. So hence my confusion.

When you stand still, the compass arrow should point to whatever waypoint you're heading towards, assuming you have the compass turned on. If that happens to point north, that's just a coincidence. The GPS arrow is not the same as a compass arrow. The GPS arrow is not designed to point north. It points to your next waypoint, and nothing else. The compass ring, which surrounds the arrow, is what indicates where north is.

after you hit submit you will see a link to [upload image]. Click that and select Browse.

In some browsers (such as Safari) the button is labeled Choose File. But it should be easy to spot either way.

Now you know. :rolleyes:

I am interested in this too. I am a newbie with the same GPS and it does the same thing, within about 50 ft I can't get a reliable reading. Does the weather matter? Tree cover. So, don't stand still? I was standing still to let the compass get an accurate reading.

after you hit submit you will see a link to [upload image]. Click that and select Browse.

In some browsers (such as Safari) the button is labeled Choose File. But it should be easy to spot either way.

Now you know. :rolleyes:

I am interested in this too. I am a newbie with the same GPS and it does the same thing, within about 50 ft I can't get a reliable reading. Does the weather matter? Tree cover. So, don't stand still? I was standing still to let the compass get an accurate reading.

If you have the Vista Cx, and have the Compass turned on, the arrow should continue to point to the cache, even when you stop. This is not true of the Venture Cx or Legend Cx.

However, you probably need to calibrate the compass on the GPSr after changing the batteries. I have the Vista C, and sometimes it acts goofy. I often cache with the compass turned off. If you do that, you have to keep moving to have the arrow continue to point in the direction of the cache.

Tree coverage definitely interferes with the accuracy of the GPSr. The weather shouldn't affect it.