Best GPS for paperless caching

I'm looking for the best GPS for paperless caching. I upgraded from my first basic eTrex to a eTrex LegendC about 2 years ago. I use my Dell Axim PDA -- and the GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) software on a PocketPC platform -- which works really well. I can download up to 500 waypoints at a time -- and I move the file to my PDA -- as well as exporting the caches from the gpx file to my eTrex.

Here's my question -- I would love a handhelp GPS unit that has plenty of storage space internally or on a card that can hold the entire gpx file -- with all of the data that comes for the waypoints on the gpx file -- so my GPS would be the only unit I need to export a file to -- and the only unit I need to grab as I walk out the door to go geocaching. I noticed a new unit -- the Earthmate GPS PN-20 -- www.delorme.com -- which looks like a really cool upper end unit that also has topo maps and "Google Earth" like aerial satellite imagery. This is a great feature -- but I think it still only can handle the basics of the waypoint data. I'd like to see the last found dates and notes, hints -- and really all of the data from the gpx file that I now have on my PDA.

Is there any produce like this on the market? And if not, why not!! ;^) :D

Thanks for responding -- all of you folks out there that love paperless caching! :blink:

Edited by 2docs

I'm only familiar with Garmin products but the POI list feature on the newer recievers can get you pretty close.

I've had a 60CSx for a couple of years now and using GSAK I've formated a POI list of over 2000 "local" geocaches to cover my business travels. As far as I know you have about 30 characters or so for the name and 88 characters for the description when formatting the list. With that space I put the difficulty, terrain, cache type, travel bug status, GC code, and cache name in the "name" field. I then reverse the entire hint and place it in the "description" field. That system works really well for me and I've only had a few caches here and there that required me to return with more information.

Just recently I also started playing with the HTML export in GSAK and used that to generate an individual page for each cache and a very handy index page to better find the cache information. I loaded the HTML stuff on my PSP and now have access to just about everything I could need while out in the woods.

I wish Garmin would expand the POI fuctionality in the future. I've loaded lots of information in multiple POI's to cover my customers and preferred suppliers while in field and could really use more space in the fields and more fields to play with. Good luck, hope this helps...

Grenadyr

I'm only familiar with Garmin products but the POI list feature on the newer recievers can get you pretty close.

I've had a 60CSx for a couple of years now and using GSAK I've formated a POI list of over 2000 "local" geocaches to cover my business travels. As far as I know you have about 30 characters or so for the name and 88 characters for the description when formatting the list. With that space I put the difficulty, terrain, cache type, travel bug status, GC code, and cache name in the "name" field. I then reverse the entire hint and place it in the "description" field. That system works really well for me and I've only had a few caches here and there that required me to return with more information.

Just recently I also started playing with the HTML export in GSAK and used that to generate an individual page for each cache and a very handy index page to better find the cache information. I loaded the HTML stuff on my PSP and now have access to just about everything I could need while out in the woods.

I wish Garmin would expand the POI fuctionality in the future. I've loaded lots of information in multiple POI's to cover my customers and preferred suppliers while in field and could really use more space in the fields and more fields to play with. Good luck, hope this helps...

Grenadyr

I know someone who uses his 60CX in a similar manner. He loads the cache waypoint, then he loads it again as a POI. Size, type difficulty and terrain are part of the cache waypoint name, cache name and owner goes in the waypoint notes section and the hint goes in the POI's description.

I wish Garmin would abandon the POI thing and make them all waypoints, but for now it's a decent compromise.

Edited by briansnat

I know someone who uses his 60CX in a similar manner. He loads the cache waypoint, then he loads it again as a POI. Size, type difficulty and terrain are part of the cache waypoint name, cache name and owner goes in the waypoint notes section and the hint goes in the POI's description.

I wish Garmin would abandon the POI thing and make them all waypoints, but for now it's a decent compromise.

He just doing that with GSAK macros? I'd like to see how he accomplishes this.

I like that the POI's allow more data than waypoints and that you can make multiple POI lists for the sake of organization. It would be nice if perhaps they could make a special category for geocache POI's so that you could just mark your poi found instead of having to write it down or set another waypoint to remember which one you found.

I have a PDA/GPS setup that includes software called Backcountry Navigator.

This software handles geocaching files very well. I do not need paper at all.

You could get a GPS receiver for around 75 dollars and Backcountry Navigator costs additional 30 bucks.

GPS receivers for PDAs can be found here BuyGpsNow

Backcountry Navigator can be found Here

That being said. If there is a chance you could get lost in the wilderness it is not prudent relying solely on electronic devices. An old fashioned map and compass should be part of the trip.

He just doing that with GSAK macros? I'd like to see how he accomplishes this.

There are quite a few macros that will generate the POI file for you. You can get them here

Note: This only generates the POI file. You still the the Garmin POI loader software to send these generated files to your GPSr

I'm looking for the best GPS for paperless caching. I upgraded from my first basic eTrex to a eTrex LegendC about 2 years ago. I use my Dell Axim PDA -- and the GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) software on a PocketPC platform -- which works really well. I can download up to 500 waypoints at a time -- and I move the file to my PDA -- as well as exporting the caches from the gpx file to my eTrex.

Here's my question -- I would love a handhelp GPS unit that has plenty of storage space internally or on a card that can hold the entire gpx file -- with all of the data that comes for the waypoints on the gpx file -- so my GPS would be the only unit I need to export a file to -- and the only unit I need to grab as I walk out the door to go geocaching. I noticed a new unit -- the Earthmate GPS PN-20 -- www.delorme.com -- which looks like a really cool upper end unit that also has topo maps and "Google Earth" like aerial satellite imagery. This is a great feature -- but I think it still only can handle the basics of the waypoint data. I'd like to see the last found dates and notes, hints -- and really all of the data from the gpx file that I now have on my PDA.

Is there any produce like this on the market? And if not, why not!! ;^) :anicute:

Thanks for responding -- all of you folks out there that love paperless caching! :anicute:

There've been a number of PDA's that take a GPSr module, there's at least one Garmin unit that combines them.

Something I started experimenting with today, after using CacheMate for a while:

1. Waypoints get manually entered into Garmin eTrex Legend (because I have no idea where the data cable is at the moment!)

2. Cache descriptions get converted to PDF files, then sent from iBook to Palm T|X through Bluetooth. Palm has PalmPDF installed so I can view the files. Yes, the text is legible on the small screen.

3. If need be, I can use the Palm to take notes while I'm in the field, then synchronize with my iBook when I get back.

Creaky, perhaps, and less automated than I'd like, but functional. I can't really annotate the

Edited by marnen