Using trackback 60CSx

I used the trackback function thinking it would route me back the same way I came,,,,but instead it just shot a bearing back towards my starting point. Like the difference between navigating a road and then going off-road. I want it to take me back EXACTLY in reverse of how I got there. Can it do this ? :anicute:

I used the trackback function thinking it would route me back the same way I came,,,,but instead it just shot a bearing back towards my starting point. Like the difference between navigating a road and then going off-road. I want it to take me back EXACTLY in reverse of how I got there. Can it do this ? :anicute:

Yes it will take you back exactly the way you came. It sounds like you told it to take you back to a point rather than follow the track. I have used the function a number of times and was quite impressed with how it worked. I am not sure how it works, but it only indicated significant course changes. If the trail slight meandered around it pointed in a general direction. Once you got to a location that had a fairly hard turn, it would beep and let you know you had to change direction. Maybe your track was fairly straight? Just guessing. :anicute: I did notice that in spite of the apparent smoothing, it would definitely keep you on track (no pun intended). The other thing is that the "granularity" can be adjusted so that may have been what I was noticing. You can change how often the track is updated based on time or distance.

Edited by dsshepard

I used the trackback function thinking it would route me back the same way I came,,,,but instead it just shot a bearing back towards my starting point. Like the difference between navigating a road and then going off-road. I want it to take me back EXACTLY in reverse of how I got there. Can it do this ?

Any chance you told it you wanted to run the track again rather than reverse it? that would explain why it wanted you to start from the beginning point.

The trackback tracks are simplified somewhat but have, IME, worked very well. I got "lost" onetime in an urban park. I knew where I was in relation to other things but there was only one entrance to the place I found myself. I used trackback to get me back to the entrance so I could extricate myself.

My track was not strait, and it did not START me back at the begining point it just drew a strait line from where I was at (when I hit trackback) BACK to the starting point. I will make sure I save it first (may not have done that) and see if I can figure it out. Sounds like it will do what I want it to do,,, if I can figure out how to ask it to do it :anicute: thanks for the help

My track was not strait, and it did not START me back at the begining point it just drew a strait line from where I was at (when I hit trackback) BACK to the starting point.

Neither I nor your GPS think your track was straight line. Assuming you are working from a saved track, the GPS claims the line between your current position and the place it thinks it should start the tracback from is a straight line (a bearing).

Consider this poorly-drawn scenario:

trackback.png

The whole thing is roughly a clockwise motion.

Edited by fratermus

My track was not strait, and it did not START me back at the begining point it just drew a strait line from where I was at (when I hit trackback) BACK to the starting point.

Neither I nor your GPS think your track was straight line. Assuming you are working from a saved track, the GPS claims the line between your current position and the place it thinks it should start the tracback from is a straight line (a bearing).

Consider this poorly-drawn scenario:

trackback.png

The whole thing is roughly a clockwise motion.

You sir, r Ed Zachery right with your drawing. And after some more searching I found that I have flipped thru the menues to fast and skipped over the "follow track" option. I think I used follow road, and there was no road, so it drew a strait line back to the start point that I had chosen to go to. Thanks for all you help !!!!

I'm having a similar problem in that I want it to follow the same roads back but if I choose the "Follow Roads" option it recalculates the route. If I choose "Follow Track" then the directions it gives me aren't relative to the roads. (They're relative to the track points rather than street intersections.)

I'm having a similar problem in that I want it to follow the same roads back but if I choose the "Follow Roads" option it recalculates the route. If I choose "Follow Track" then the directions it gives me aren't relative to the roads. (They're relative to the track points rather than street intersections.)

I don't think you can force it to autoroute the same roads back (kind of a contradiction, IMO).

And even if you could force it to autoroute a certain route what would happen if your route had a one-way street on it?

Seems funny the best way from A to B is not the same as B to A in the GPSR autorouting sytem,,, ;)