Good Location for a Camping/Caching Holiday in August

Hi All,

Despite hearing about geocaching a year or two ago, I'm just getting involved. Firstly - thanks to all who made me feel welcome over on the newbies thread!

My partner & I are looking to go on holiday in August, and we'd like to combine camping with our new found soon-to-be-love of Caching.

Can anyone suggest a good caching location, ideally within 100-150 miles drive of Birmingham? I think we'd be looking for nice walks, though I have a mild hip problem, so can't walk for ages! Suggestions of good camp sites welcome too!

Thanks!

There are some beautiful cache locations in North Wales - Snowdonia, Anglesey, that sort of area, some of which are quick ones, others which are longer walks.

My geographical knowledge of Britain is not that great once you go north of the M4 (something I should be embarrassed about, particularly as I have a Geography degree!), how far is north west Wales from Birmingham? :D

PS. Just realised, if you went at the beginning of July instead, you could camp at the huuuge Snowdonia Geocaching event!

Edited by ryme-intrinseca

There are some beautiful cache locations in North Wales - Snowdonia, Anglesey, that sort of area, some of which are quick ones, others which are longer walks.

My geographical knowledge of Britain is not that great once you go north of the M4 (something I should be embarrassed about, particularly as I have a Geography degree!), how far is north west Wales from Birmingham? :D

PS. Just realised, if you went at the beginning of July instead, you could camp at the huuuge Snowdonia Geocaching event!

Cool - I love photography too, and was thinking of Wales. I've been to South Wales from Brum, and it's all quite doable from here.

Ooh - will investigate the Snowdonia event; that's my birthday weekend, so may be able to convince the Boy.

(OT - Sig line Love - am watching Toy Story now, while sewing a skirt!)

We very recently spent a few days camping at Bo-Peep Caravan Park (tents allowed by the way) just south of Banbury. It was very friendly, clean, and has free internet access which may come in handy judging by how many caches there are nearby that'll need logging!

The ones along the nearby canal make lovely walks and aren't too strenuous either as the terrain is easy going. Highly recommended! :D

You could try the Aberystwyth area, quite near to Snowdonia for the adventurous, and lots of less strenuous caches locally too. Lovely scenery, and convenient for Brum by car or train. Check out our local cachers forum at http://www.aber-cachers.co.uk

Sorry, I don't know any campsites personally, but there are plenty to choose from.

Midfield Holiday Park on the outskirts of Aberystwyth has a large camping area and everypitch has electric hook up. They have a website. I am thinkin of organising a camping event there, probably in early September.

There is also the Aeron Coast campsite in Aberaeron which is about half an hour from here. There is now quite a h igh cache density in this area, and as jennie has pointed out many of them are easy for walking. Snowdonia alsohas some great drive-bys.

Both areas are great for photography, but so is most of Wales :mad: