60CSx selective POI display?

My problem is not in getting custom POIs into the 60CSx, it's dealing with a cluttered display when there are a lot of Mapsource POIs in the same area as my custom ones...in that case I want a way to make mine stand out. How about changing the icons to a single pixel for the categories I don't want to see...can that be done with XImage or can only the custom icons be changed?

Craig

My problem is not in getting custom POIs into the 60CSx, it's dealing with a cluttered display when there are a lot of Mapsource POIs in the same area as my custom ones...in that case I want a way to make mine stand out.

:lol: This is a bugbear of mine too. - the cluttered display since the firmware 3.2 update.

I have managed to separate the Map POI from the Custom POI by getting them to display at different zoom ranges when zooming in.

I prefer to see my Custom POI at or below the zoom range of 200m. Map POI I only want to see when I have a special need to visit an establishment, though I will suffer seeing them at a range much below that at which I normally operate.

My Custom POI display at 200m or less whilst the Map POI display at 50m or less. This is achieved by setting the following values in Map Setup. To achieve this I have Map Setup-General>Detail=Less and Map Setup-Points>Map Points=200m. There is a gotcha with this and that is that the ranges at which the various layers of map detail appear are reduced. In my case, with a topographical map, full map detail (including Map POI) is viewable at up to 50m and then the various other layers disappear as the zoom range is increased and all map detail ceases to appear at 12km.

:) I just wish that Garmin would create a separate control setting for Custom POI. I have my fingers crossed hoping that something may happen with the next update. :D

So far I have never needed the Garmin POI displayed on my maps. They mostly clutter up the display and make it harder for me to use the 60scx for what I want to use it for, geocaching, hiking and other outdoor activities. So far I have never needed the GPS to find a gas station or ATM as both are available and generally easy to find in nearly every small town. My hope is that Garmin will at least give us a way to turn them off so I can search POI when needed but not be bothered other wise.