Is this a good unit at a good price and a good way to start>

Lacomo

OK here's the thing. I know NOTHING about GPS stuff, but I want to get started geocaching. I found a used but like new Garmin GPSMap 76S for $150. Is this a good buy? Would it be a good way for me to start? I'm sure if I do get I will be bugging you guys with tons of questions. By the way I'm in Central Missouri.

If that is a non-Color GSPr, I would spend just a bit more money for a color GPSr. Both the Legend C and Vista C have been discontinued, but they are good units and you can probably get one of those for that price. For $180, you can get a Venture Cx, but you have to purchase a card, and a cable for it, if you don't already have one.

I'm sure others will have other suggestions for you.

The 76S was a pretty expensive unit new. It's a good unit that will get the job done. If its used and has maps for your area loaded to it, $150 is a good price, but I'm not sure if I would pay that much for it without maps.

It's not a bad price (original MSRP was nearly $400), but for $30 more you can get a new Venture CX with color display, autorouting and expandible memory. The 76S has none of these key features.

Edited by briansnat

I like the format and ease of use of the 76S unit. Bought mine new, i'm thinking over $300, and it's what i've been using for about 3 years now. I certainly recommend it, but to be honest, i'm thinking that you may can find a used one (unit by itself) for a little bit cheaper. On the otherhand, i would snap it up if it came with serial cable and any version Mapsource software.