GPS with best reception under canopy

I currently use a Garmin Legend. It is fine except for in the summer when leaves are on. Garmin advertises that their 76csx gets better reception. Anyone here have practical experiance with this before I buy. They are a bit pricey. Are they really better than the Legend, and by how much?

They are absolutely amazing. I have a 60CSx that is basically the same GPS put in a bigger case. I can hold a lock in a concrete block office built within a steel building. All of the other 43 GPS’s that I’ve owned lose reception as soon as you walk into the steel building. I owned a Legend several years ago and it was by far the worst reception of all of them.

I don’t know if you need to spend the extra money for the 76CSx over the 76Cx. Many people don’t use the added “Sensors” (2 axis electronic compass and barometric pressure altimeter) that the CSx gives you.

I have a 60CSx and can walk into dense canopy without significant loss of signal. My son used to say that our Legend and eTrex got "confused" a lot. The truth was he was getting frustrated a lot by loss of signal. The 60CSx takes a lot of the frustration away.

Now the only frustration is finding the darn things! :laughing:

dad2jnk

You simply want to look for units that have the SIRF III chip... that's what makes the difference. The Garmin 60Cx, CSx, etc., use these newer chips, and that's what makes the difference in reception. I'd imagine that any unit that uses the SIRF chip will yield outstanding results compared to ones that don't. The difference is absolutely remarkable, as others have noted.

I currently use a Garmin Legend. It is fine except for in the summer when leaves are on. Garmin advertises that their 76csx gets better reception. Anyone here have practical experiance with this before I buy. They are a bit pricey. Are they really better than the Legend, and by how much?

We just tested some units recently at an event (nothing scientific, but just a standard walking around, side by side, test on some known locations in the park)...my group played around with the 60CSx, the 76CSx and a Legend Cx. We noticed a difference in reception for sure and we don't even have leaves on the trees. We also tested in an area that were more evergreen populated and noticed a difference there as well.

Personally, for me it is worth the extra money for the SiRF III, but if money is an issue then certainly the Legend will get you by.

Edited by egami

You didn't mention which Legend you own...

I own a 60cx and my son owns a Venture cx (identical to the Legend cx in a different color) and we've compared them in many situations. The 60cx certainly acquires a signal faster and is more reliable under heavy tree cover (I can hold a signal while it's on my belt clip). The Venture cx has been really good as well but you definitely have to keep it pointed skyward to maintain a signal and under very heavy (and wet) forest cover it will struggle a bit. If you are currently using the old blue Legend, you will see a dramatic improvement if you purchased either of these CX units.

I use my 60cx for backpacking so the GPS's ability to hold a signal is the most important thing to me. If I just used my GPS for Geocaching or auto-routing the Legend CX would probably have been my choice (I like the small size and the price of the Venture CX is hard to beat!).

I also have a 60csx and I have read all these reports. what I want to know is how strong is some of your 60csx's saying they are. my unit never says better than 15 feet accurate. and at times it is well over 20feet accurate.

Don't read to much into the 60csx claimed accuracy.... I think this is a conservative "estimate" of the units accuracy. I own a 60cx and it often says 15-30ft accuracy, at the same time my legendC is claiming 7ft accuracy BUT the 60cx is showing me closer to the waypoint most of the time.

I have seen 10ft claimed accuracy with my 60cx, but I need a very good view of the sky and waas on.