Topo maps or City Navigator which gives best coastal detail

Hi All,

Just got my mits on a Garmin 76csx.

Primarily I will be using the device for in car (need auto routing) and off track hiking with a bit of geocaching thrown in.

I also use a small boat around the Anglesey coast line (N. Wales), and intend to mark the best fishing spots, reefs and sand banks on the GPS unit as I go along.

I do know about the Blue Charts - but I do not need the extra detail the blue charts offer as my boat is more of a dinghy so navigation channels, markers and depth info is not necessary. I'd probably only be a few hundred meters off shore.

Looking a screen shots of the City Navigator and Mapsource Topo maps shows they they do show coast line, but which is the most accurate?

I was tending towards the mapsource software but most comments I read say its pretty poor as the screen is too busy with contours.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Many thanks

Rik

Edited by trickyrik

In Wales I would not think about using CityNavigator Europe v9 for boating at my location!

GB Topo has a better coastline and the boat would not be lost in the contours!!!!!!! :)

Go with Topo hands down! Much better coast line detail. CN only shows generic coast detail primarily for auto vehicle navigation. I have both and I should know.

P.S. Please don't post a bunch of gueses and protrude ignorance, it doesn't do any good.

You are probably best off with both. Topo (at least in the US) gives much better coast line detail, but Topo doesn't autorouteFor street navigation you need City Navigator.

GB Topo does autoroute but I would not use it for autorouting![uK/Wales £110 to £135]

MetroGuide does autoroute with manipulation![uK/Wales £40 eBay]

CityNavigator v9

tenbycnv9wq5.png

tenbytopoen1.png

The screenshots are of Tenby [south Wales]

Hi,

Many thanks for the info. very helpful

Not sure how I missed it before but just noticed on the Garmin website they have a map viewer feature that shows the detail of their maps.

I was able to do a comparison of my area and looks like both topo and city navigator both show fair detail of the coast line.. BUT...

Looks like City Navigator shows the coast line when the tide is out, and Topo when the tide is in.

Overall I think Topo does give best coastline detail (and a more interesting map, other than just boring roads), which is unfortunate as I have just purchased City Nav NT version 8 off ebay !!!. Oh well.