Garmin Etrex Legend CX - NC Area Geocachers

Greetings, although I've been reading about everything I can find on here about geocaching ... this is my first post. I was just recently introduced to geocaching by the Scrapplers ... and I love it. We are planning on doing this as a family sport.

So, since we are hooked ... we have to find a GPS unit. I've been reading pros and cons to all.

I'd like to spend $250 or less, honestly ... but the one I think it want is the Garmin 60csx (doesn't fit that price range I know). I may purchase one to start with, and get tht one soon after!

I was looking at basspro and they have this Garmin Etrex Legend Cx, and there is also a Vista Cx in about the same range. I have decided that I think I would like to have the card extention which both I believe have. Does anyone in NC use either of these units?

My biggest concern is that our area (or most of NC) seems to be heavily populated by trees. I know that the parks that I have been to are loaded with trees. I am in zip code 28146 for those of you that may be in this area.

I'm amazed at the # of caches in the area. I can hardly wait to get started ... but must find the right unit.

I know that I would like to have the compass to point us in the right direction. I was also wondering about the Plain Garmin Etrex. Would that work for a small child to geocach with? I have an 8 year old who I would like to have their own unit.

Thank you for your help in advance. I can't wait to get started, thank you.

I used to live in NC and still geocache in the western part of NC when visiting family. It is hard deciding on which unit to get first. My first GPS was the regular basic yellow Garmin etrex, and it worked fairly well and helped me find my first 100 caches. The only complaint with it is that under heavy tree cover (no view of the sky at all), it would loss its lock on satellites. So as a starter GPS for a child, it would work fine.

As for the Legendcx vs the Vistacx, there is one main difference. The Vistacx has an electronic compass. This means that even standing still the GPS unit will point in the proper direction when using the GOTO waypoint or geocache feature. The Legendcx does not have an electronic compass. In order for it to point in the correct direction, you have to be moving (walking slowly is all you need). I think it looks at the direction the GPS is moving in and determines what direction you need to be going.

If you do decide to go with the Legendcx, I would recommend getting the Venturecx instead. It does not come with the memory or data cable, but you will probably decide to buy a larger card anyway if you decide to buy maps and use the GPS for autorouting (another great feature).

As for the 60csx, that is what I am using now. It had everything I wanted in a GPS and works great for caching and autorouting in the car. It also has the electronic compass like the Vista. But, it has a SirfIII chip (it keeps a strong lock on satellite signals) that works great under heavy tree cover and in areas that the etrex may have problems. You can find more info here on the boards about the Sirf chip and how it works if you are interested.

Another thing to think about is the shape and size of the etrex vs the 60csx. Some people like the small compact feeling of the etrex since it fairly easily will fit in a shirt pocket. It also has a small joystick used to navigate around on the screen. Other people like the larger screen and the increased reception of the 60csx. It is just a matter of preference.

If you have some geocachers that you can go caching with in your area, ask them about what they are using and see if they will let you try it out while you are with them. This is a good way to see if you really like the electronic compass, or if you find it kind of useless as some people do.

Whatever you decide to get, have fun geocaching <_<

Edited by wpwfs2003

Hi there Sass. All the above comments are good ones. I also live in NC (Chapel Hill) and use a Legend C, which is comparable to the Cx's reception-wise.

Yes, you will lose some reception rarely under the heavy NC trees and yes, it can be frustrating at times... but it's not a reason not to go with the units.

I've been caching since 2002, and if I had the money I'd now get a 60CX or 60CSX with the better chip...but then I know I'll be geocaching for many more years to come (hopefully). If I were you, I'd go with the Legend Cx or Venture Cx, let the family get used to it and caching, and be sure it's a long-term hobby. Then upgrade to a better unit and let the kid handle the Etrex ;) My 5 year old can easily follow the arrow to the cache. I can live without the electronic compass... I carry a non-electronic compass for the caches that need it / if you get lost and your GPSr fails.

As an aside, visit http://www.ncgeocachers.org and say hi on the forums. You are near some *great* areas for caches and cachers, real friendly bunch in Winston Salem, Concord, Greensboro, High Point etc. There are a bunch of events in and around you as well... come out and meet NC cachers and discuss units :P There's a certain HUGE event in raleigh in a few weeks ... http://www.geowoodstock5.com ....

Edited by Maingray

Thank you both for your insight on these receivers. I haven't purchased mine yet. I went to BassPro yesterday with intentions of buying, and I just wasn't sure which one I truly wanted. I saw the 60Csx, and the CX, and both of them really drew my attention. I'm honestly only worried over the tree cover here. I want to be able to use it in the car as well.

Thank you both, I look forward to getting out and geocaching. I have family in town through the weekend (or I would have went and bought one or the other tonight!).

Thanks!

I live in Western NC just a bit NW of Charlotte. A lot of our caching trips are in the foothills and mountain areas.

We started with 2 of the old standard blue Legends. We quickly got tired of losing signal in the woods. After a year or so we upgraded to 2 60c's. One of the units worked pretty good, but the one I had didnt seem to be much better than the legend. It was even sent back to Garmin and was reported to be working properly. We now have both a 60csx and the color Vista. I can't speak about the Vista because I havent pried it out of the wife's hands, but I know as far as my 60csx is concerned, I wouldnt trade it for anything else out there today. I NEVER lose signal and it always does exactly what I need it to do when I need it to do it!