How many geocaches in one day?

I finally talked a buddy of mine into geocaching and now his whole family is addicted. They hit 21 caches on Saturday and they were doing the happy dance. He said that has to be some kind of record. I wonder what the record is for most caches in a day?

What is the most caches you all have acquired in one day of caching? :D

On 12/11/2005 I found a whopping 10 caches.

As far as the record for most in a day, that is debatable. A team of cachers found 312 in 24 hours, but that "record" is somewhat controversial because they split up at certain points and only signed the outside of the containers.

The next closest, 263 caches in 24 hours as I understand it is a bit more legit as the logs were actually signed and the team stayed together.

Edited by briansnat

Hi there,

Your question is one that's asked in the forums quite often, especially by excited newcomers. Odds are that your thread will turn into a discussion of what really constitutes a "record" and maybe even what constitutes a "find." Since there are very few rules and standards it is difficult to compare apples to oranges between one person's 100 cache day and another person's 100 cache day. If the first guy cached solo, signed all the logbooks and left his signature item, that's a different experience than the second guy, who was part of a team that had a dedicated driver and navigator familiar with the area, who slapped stickers in the logbooks, and never bothered with trade items.

With that introduction, I will say that my personal best is 240 caches in 24 hours. The conditions under which this was accomplished:

-- team of two cachers with no assistance, just coordinates dumped onto our GPSr's at the beginning of the run

-- dedicated driver and navigator who planned the route and were familiar with the area

-- cache dense area (Nashville) where neither finder had ever cached before

-- each log was signed in ink and all virtual caches were properly verified with the owner

-- all caches were found by both team members -- no splitting up

-- no trading or movement of trackables occurred

-- none of the 240 caches went missing after our find due to being indiscreet in view of muggles

-- 2.5 hour break for dinner at Hooter's (this remains my only visit to such an establishment)

101 in roughly 8 hours of caching time. There were 6 of us if I remember correctly, we drove around in Chicago doing the BoB's Run (now archived). We used stickers and didn't split up. Nothing traded as no trading available for these.

I found a cache in Michigan before and after the BoB's Run, I didn't count drive time (3.5 hours) between Chicago and Michigan either way. My only regret is that we were going to go after the project A.P.E. cache nearby to Chicago, my back was bothering me after a small mishap during the run, so we decided against it...the cache is now archived....BUMMER!

I did 101 in ~10 hours with two other guys in the La Quinta area of Palm Springs a couple of years ago. That included 10.5 miles of hiking and a lot of off-roading. We just wanted to see if we could do 100 just for the heck of it. One of the guys planned it so well that it really wasn't that tough. The last cache was an event. We had a lot of fun but none of us want to do it again. :D

Hi there,

Your question is one that's asked in the forums quite often, especially by excited newcomers. Odds are that your thread will turn into a discussion of what really constitutes a "record" and maybe even what constitutes a "find." Since there are very few rules and standards it is difficult to compare apples to oranges between one person's 100 cache day and another person's 100 cache day. If the first guy cached solo, signed all the logbooks and left his signature item, that's a different experience than the second guy, who was part of a team that had a dedicated driver and navigator familiar with the area, who slapped stickers in the logbooks, and never bothered with trade items.

With that introduction, I will say that my personal best is 240 caches in 24 hours. The conditions under which this was accomplished:

-- team of two cachers with no assistance, just coordinates dumped onto our GPSr's at the beginning of the run

-- dedicated driver and navigator who planned the route and were familiar with the area

-- cache dense area (Nashville) where neither finder had ever cached before

-- each log was signed in ink and all virtual caches were properly verified with the owner

-- all caches were found by both team members -- no splitting up

-- no trading or movement of trackables occurred

-- none of the 240 caches went missing after our find due to being indiscreet in view of muggles

-- 2.5 hour break for dinner at Hooter's (this remains my only visit to such an establishment)

Kudos!!!!! :D My hats off to everybody, very impressive. I really enjoyed viewing The Leprechauns photo gallery. Makes me want to take a trip up Northeast region, looks like a very cool area. :D

101 in roughly 8 hours of caching time. There were 6 of us if I remember correctly, we drove around in Chicago doing the BoB's Run (now archived). We used stickers and didn't split up. Nothing traded as no trading available for these.

I found a cache in Michigan before and after the BoB's Run, I didn't count drive time (3.5 hours) between Chicago and Michigan either way. My only regret is that we were going to go after the project A.P.E. cache nearby to Chicago, my back was bothering me after a small mishap during the run, so we decided against it...the cache is now archived....BUMMER!

Oh, that WAS a fun day! It really is a shame you didn't join us afterwords for the APE cache...you coulda topped off the day with outrunning a tornado! (and yes...we DID still get the APE cache!)

I've done 100+ days three times now. My personal record is 130 out in La Quinta--and it involved pretty much the same amount of hiking and off-roading that TrailGators mentioned earlier.

The days as a whole are certainly memorable, and a few caches do stand out...But to be honest, the most fun I've had while caching has been on days I've only found a handful of caches and really got to enjoy some phenomenal scenery and whatnot.

I have done 100 caches in 11 hours. We took a slow lunch and drove across town for the last couple of caches. I was in a car with someone who knew the area, but I found around 80 or more on my own (he had already found them and laughed at... um, observed me as I was looking for them). We fixed up a few bad logbooks along the way and I found one cache way down a hill while being persistent and really wanting to not DNF too many of them. I had about 6 or 7 DNF's (should have kept a record of that).

My goal is to do this again totally alone to see how long it takes to find 100 caches by myself.