GPS Device

carolyn247

Not sure what your budget is but you want to consider stepping up to the Garmin eTrex Venture Cx. Color screen, routable mapping, more memory flexibility with sd cards, USB computer connection, long battery life and easy operation.; All for about $180 if you poke around a little.

If budget is a concern - stick with something in the low end eTrex line. The forerunner was just not designed for geocaching - but will work.

I just got a ForeTrex 101 for my son to use when we go caching. It's a very basic GPSr, but does allow for input of waypoints and if you spend the extra to get the serial (note serial not USB) interface cable you can download direct from your pc again if you have a serial port. No routing, no maps just a pointer, distance readout and lat/lon position display. On the plus side they are available in the $40 to $70 range depending on sales.

As a side note we use my 60 CSx to get to the right area first. Really like the mapping feature.

Okay, I need to get a GPS device and I know that the Garmin Etrex is recommended here, but I saw someone with a wrist one (GARMIN FORERUNNER 101 PERSONAL TRAINING GPS WATCH) and was wondering if that is as good as the Garmin Etrex.

Thanks!

What are you looking to spend and what features do you want?
Okay, I need to get a GPS device and I know that the Garmin Etrex is recommended here, but I saw someone with a wrist one (GARMIN FORERUNNER 101 PERSONAL TRAINING GPS WATCH) and was wondering if that is as good as the Garmin Etrex.

Thanks!

What are you looking to spend and what features do you want?

At first I was looking for low cost ($100), but after reading these posts I am thinking more around $160ish. I don't want to hit the $200 mark!

Thanks for your help!

Carolyn