Traffic avoidance GPS tips?

Lets say I am in a traffic jam. I have a GPS which can do autorouting. The GPS DOES NOT have a "route around" function. Also say that I have a map.

So what should I do to get out of the traffic jam?? I was thinking.

1) Since you are stuck and waiting, first set your GPS to navigate to your final destination.

2) Take the nearest exit off, and start driving in the general direction of the same travel you where before, on side streets.

3) After you think you have gone far enough from the previous traffic area, activate navigation.

I think there are flaws with this method. As an alternative

1) Since you are stuck, set yourself to navigate to the nearest gas station, off the nearest exit.

2) Ask them where the nearest next on-ramp is around the traffic problem.

3) Program your GPS to get to your final destination, and head in the general direction of what the gas station attendent says.

any quicker more efficient ideas?

Lets say I am in a traffic jam. I have a GPS which can do autorouting. The GPS DOES NOT have a "route around" function. Also say that I have a map.

So what should I do to get out of the traffic jam?? I was thinking.

1) Since you are stuck and waiting, first set your GPS to navigate to your final destination.

2) Take the nearest exit off, and start driving in the general direction of the same travel you where before, on side streets.

3) After you think you have gone far enough from the previous traffic area, activate navigation.

I think there are flaws with this method. As an alternative

1) Since you are stuck, set yourself to navigate to the nearest gas station, off the nearest exit.

2) Ask them where the nearest next on-ramp is around the traffic problem.

3) Program your GPS to get to your final destination, and head in the general direction of what the gas station attendent says.

any quicker more efficient ideas?

My Magellan 6000T and 760 do auto routing with traffic avoidance. If I am stuck for a certain amount of time or moving very slow the gps will ask me if I want it to route around the traffic. Works very well. Used it several times in Utah and Arizona. If I have my traffic subscription going through a city area that is on the unit it will automatically tell me of accidents and traffic pile ups way ahead of time and will auto route around them.

I like my method better.

Storm180

So what should I do to get out of the traffic jam??

Find a parking spot and geocache until the traffic resides.