Geocoin auction to help a friend

rasj & Stacey

Even more good news today! The non-profit created to help fund Skye's recovery is now up and running! Please visit the website and read about Skye. I think it gives more inisght into who she is as a person. I'm posting the link here in hopes that the mods let it stay since so many of you have helped Skye in so many ways.

http://www.reachfortheskye.org

I also want to let everyone know that there is still one more step needed before I can resume the auctions. I hope that the orginization's registration with ebay will be complete soon, and then I can get back in the swing of things. Once they register, you too can auction items and donate all or part of the proceeds directly to Skye! How cool is that? :(

Please continue to pray for Skye as she enters her new phase of recovery. It works! It really works!

Oh yeah one more thing! Be on the lookout for a post from Neil soon. He wants to personally thank everyone for all that you have done for his family. As you can imagine, his days and nights are pretty much full right now, but he wanted me to let everyone know how very much he appreciates everything you have done for Skye, and he'll be around soon to thank you all himself! :huh:

I'm still waiting for missionfish to list Skye's nonprofit. All of the paperwork has been sent in, and now the ball is in missionfish's court. I check them 3-4 times a day and just as soon as it is listed, I will resume the auctions. All coins are still on my desk, just waiting to be listed. :lol:

Thanks for keeping Skye in your prayers!

Thanks for bumping this thread. I hadn't checked on Skye's progress lately, and it's amazing how far she's come! Just over a couple of months ago, they were telling her family, today would probably be the day she would die. Two days ago, she took her first steps! If you haven't read the updates recently, DO. Her story is amazing and inspiring! I am keeping her in my prayers.

Also, her parents are looking for an affordable home to rent in Asheville that can be modified for wheelchair access, to keep Skye near friends, doctors, therapists. Spread the word!

This is an amazing story, and I just wanted to wish the family and Skye good wishes and luck in her continued improvment.

Each time I read one of your updates, one of the things that stuck out in my mind was the support of her family and friends. Having that type of support and love there every day can do wonders to someones will to live and to succeed. Although she recently got a wheelchair it sounds like walking is not out of the question!

Keep up the support, and the updates. You are doing a wonderfull thing in helping a friend so unselfishly.

Hopes and Prayers to all!

Hey guys! I still haven't seen anything from missionfish, but I have decided not to wait any longer. Many of you have been kind enough to donate geocoins for Skye, and it is not fair to keep you wondering when your coins will be auctioned. I am going to resume the auctions "the old way" and just re-word my listings and hope for the best. Unfortuantely, I have lost my list that I kept with who donated which coins, so please don't be offended if I don't mention your name in the auctions. If you spot the coin that you donated, and would like for me to mention you in the auction, please email or pm me and I will be happy to add it in there. :angry:

Here is the link to my items for sale. It may take an hour or two before the listings begin to show up, so please be patient.

I have about 20 coins left to auction. :angry:

If you haven't read Skye's updates lately, I encourage you to do so. She is making quite a comeback! Thanks for everyone's support and prayers!

The latest update on Skye...

June 24, 2007 at 02:38 PM EDT Kate watched Skye record this in her journal as they waited for a speech therapy session. It is transcribed here as she composed it, using capital letters where she did. Skye wrote it as one unbroken thought without any outside input.

"The recovery process is really long. It's okay. We should look at it as war, with its' stages and battles within.

WAKE UP SKYE!

WAKE UP SKYE!

WAKE UP SLEEPING BEAST WALL!

KNOW THAT YOU SNORE. I CAN HEAR YOU!

I've been winning the battles?

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Celebrate the little victories."

The latest update on Skye...

June 24, 2007 at 02:38 PM EDT Kate watched Skye record this in her journal as they waited for a speech therapy session. It is transcribed here as she composed it, using capital letters where she did. Skye wrote it as one unbroken thought without any outside input.

"The recovery process is really long. It's okay. We should look at it as war, with its' stages and battles within.

WAKE UP SKYE!

WAKE UP SKYE!

WAKE UP SLEEPING BEAST WALL!

KNOW THAT YOU SNORE. I CAN HEAR YOU!

I've been winning the battles?

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Celebrate the little victories."

Smashing news rasj. Absolutely smashing! :D

Thanks for the update. All are still in our prayers. ;)

Bumping this topic with a couple of updated on Skye's progress. She recently had surgery to replace the bon flap that was removed to help with the swelling on her brain. This is a good thing! Here are the last two updates from her care page...

According to her neurosurgeon Skye's surgery went "fairly well". There was some brain swelling and fluid had to be drained from the ventricles so that the bone flap could be replaced. They will keep her in the neurotrauma ICU to monitor for swelling and infection over the next week and she is currently sedated and back on a ventilator. They've inserted a drain to remove the excess fluid. If she begins absorbing the fluid and pressure doesn't build too much, they'll remove the drain. If it doesn't drain sufficiently, they will perform another surgery to insert a permanent shunt which will drain the fluid into her abdomen. They brought her out of sedation after surgery to monitor her neurological responses and she had the same level of responsiveness she did prior to the surgery--she knew her name and could move her left & right legs and right arm. They did a CT scan immediately after surgeon and everything looked normal. They will do a follow up scan tomorrow to assess. We will keep you posted as we know more. Thank you for continuing to pray for Skye

Skye is weak and very tired, but is recovering from surgery beautifully! The nurse removed the ventilator about 4 this morning and Skye is talking, moving and aware of her surroundings. She's even brushing her own teeth! Her intercranial pressure remained within the target range overnight, so they clamped off the tube draining the cranial sacral fluid. If the pressures remain stable through this evening, they expect to remove the tube tomorrow. They performed a CT scan this morning and everything looked great. If she continues on this track, the doctor plans to do another CT scan tomorrow morning then move her from the Neurotrauma ICU to the 6th floor to continue her recovery

Thank you to everyone that is bidding on my auctions to help Skye. You guys rock!

I just added the following trackable geocoins to the auction block, and I have over 20 more left to go!

GPS Interactive LE

Dorkfish Aquarium - Black Nickel

All American - Silver

Tick - Black Nickel

Bad Mojo v2 - Gold

Broken W - Nickel

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ2...maQ5foutbidQ5fu

Bumping for round 3...

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ2...maQ5foutbidQ5fu

A ton of geocoins came in the mail over the last few days. I can't believe you guys are still sending them. That's just super cool. I also went through my collection and took out some coins for auction. If you see something you want, please bid and keep your eyes on my auction list because you never know when something rare will hit the blocks.

cough... cough... lackey... cough cough cough... unactivated... cough... AHEM!

Excuse me, I had a green frog in my throat. :)

Edited by rasj

How have the auctions been going? Did missionfish ever come through?

Below is the last paragraph from today's CarePages update:

July 15, 2007 at 01:55 PM EDT

It takes tremendous effort to make the kind of progress that Skye has and she often speaks of how hard the process is. She is tired, speaks in a quieter voice and hasn’t had as good of an appetite since the last surgery. She often asks to go back to bed during the day and even tries to broker deals like “if I eat a couple more bites, can I go to bed?” All this isn’t surprising when you realize she is recovering from her fifth surgery in three months, but the fact that she continues to push herself as hard as she does and progressing at the pace she is once again attests to her incredibly strong spirit and tenacity. Go Skye!!

Edited by Toojin & Bart

Missionfish still has not listed the organization, so I resumed some auctions the "old way" and am about to list some more coins this week. If Missionfish ever lists Skye's org, then I will more than likely begin selling under their name so that the money goes directly to them instead of through missionfish.

I sold a few geocoins that were not for Skye, and I stopped all "Skye" auctions while I did that so no one would get confused about where their money was going. Now that those auctions are over, I will resume Skye's auctions.

As for Skye herself... She is AMAZING! She is set to go home on the 20th, which is this coming weekend. That's right... HOME! Hopefully by then she will be able to walk with little assistance. I think that once she does go home, her recovery will become more rapid. :tired: