My paperless saga continues...

I have gone out paperless a few times with no snags...until today.

I cannot hotsync my palm! When I try it beebs a few times it syas "connecting with th desktop using direct serial" , then "identifing the user" , synchronizing, then "cleaning up-please wait" and then a box that says "hotsync problem...Hot sysc operation was interrupted. Some of your data was NOT backed up. For details tap the hotsync log on the hotsync screen."

If going paperless was not so cool I think I would have chucked it all out already

...and then a box that says "hotsync problem...Hot sysc operation was interrupted. Some of your data was NOT backed up. For details tap the hotsync log on the hotsync screen."

Ok, I'll bite.

What details appeared when you tapped on "hotsync log"? That will show you which conduit is blowing up. Might also want to fiddle with your serial connection config.

I had a similar problem when I upgraded my Palm IIIxe to a Palm M125. The nasty message was the same, but in this case it told me in the log I needed to change "user" as it was already taken. Did you make any hardware changes? Something to check- is any other device using your serial port?

...and then a box that says "hotsync problem...Hot sysc operation was interrupted. Some of your data was NOT backed up. For details tap the hotsync log on the hotsync screen."

Ok, I'll bite.

What details appeared when you tapped on "hotsync log"? That will show you which conduit is blowing up. Might also want to fiddle with your serial connection config.

Hotsync log shows my last operation was terminated. It goes on to say: "An application on the PC failed to respond to the hotsysnc operation intialization notification. This application may need to be restared".

Regarding my serial connection config: my cradle is connected to a serial/usb adapter and the adater is connected to one ok my pc's usb ports.

I had a similar problem when I upgraded my Palm IIIxe to a Palm M125. The nasty message was the same, but in this case it told me in the log I needed to change "user" as it was already taken. Did you make any hardware changes? Something to check- is any other device using your serial port?

No hardware changes and I have (I think) 7 usb ports so no other device is using that port.

Might try rebooting the pc and/or reseating all connectors (cradel to usb adapter, usb to pc) and see what happens. I had my cradle's connector wiggle loose from the back of my PC last month. I was getting power, which threw me off track. (in my case the power and connector were seperate connections).

On my setup I have a HotSync icon in my icon tray, and I have to click on it to assign either "Local USB" or "Local Serial" for the proper connection. I have used a similar connection in the past with a serial/usb adapter, and I think I had to set it to serial, even though it was plugged into a USB port on my PC. You might give that a try.

On my setup I have a HotSync icon in my icon tray, and I have to click on it to assign either "Local USB" or "Local Serial" for the proper connection. I have used a similar connection in the past with a serial/usb adapter, and I think I had to set it to serial, even though it was plugged into a USB port on my PC. You might give that a try.

This was one of our problems too. I also found out that he had to load his magellan unit first as the palm desktop took the serial port and wouldn't release it even when turned off. so now he load s the unit and then turns on the palm desktop and no further problems

Regarding my serial connection config: my cradle is connected to a serial/usb adapter and the adater is connected to one ok my pc's usb ports.

Try plugging into the serial port instead of the USB. If it works that way you might be able to assume that the problem is with the USB adapter. I gave up on USB adapters and got an add on serial port card. No problems since. :laughing:

If you are the only user on your computer you can do this, which is the fix that worked for me finally... Go to the control panel > User Accounts and Family Safety > User Accounts > Turn user account control on or off > Then uncheck the box that says use user account control to help protect your computer. Since I did this, I have had no problems with hot syncing. The user account control simply disallows anyone else from logging in on your computer with administrator privileges.

Its really not a Vista problem, its a palm problem...they STILL don't have a patch for .pdb files (which is what you need for transferring cache files to your palm) and its been over 2 months now. Here is a link Click Here Everyone wants to blame it on Vista, when in reality it is the vendors that are failing to keep up in most instances.

OK...here is an update:

After pulling the palm m105 out of the toilet (only kidding) I did a hard reset, pulled batteries out for 5 minutes. It wiped out everthing I added, most importantly cachemate. But the good news is that now it'll hotsync.

So I'm trying to reload cachemate I have cachemate.prc in palmone quickinstall and when I hotsync everthing seems to work except I don't have cachemate loaded on my palm! What gives?