Waterproofing Caches

sacred6

Throw it away and get a container that is already waterproof. Sorry if that sounds like a flip answer, but its really what you should do.

You can spend a lot of time and effort trying to make a non waterproof container, waterproof, or just get one that already is.

Edited by briansnat

Not to be too flip or agree with Brian too fast, but the fastest way to make a container waterproof would be to put it inside an ammo can. They're great at keeping out water provided that the seal is in good shape.

...or put an ammo can in it! Of course, lock'n'lock containers come in varied sizes, you may want to check those out, too. :blink:

"Excuse me Captain Smith but I thought this boat was waterproof." said a passenger on the Titanic

The best way to make something waterproof is to keep it away from water. :blink:

I've seen alot of caches that claimed to be 'waterproof' but when I opened them up, I had to pour out the water and dry out the log book so I could sign in. It seems the waterproof caches hold water really well. :P

The problem is not with the seal of the container but the changes of temperature. I had a winter survival kit in an ammo can under the back seat of my pickup one winter. Everytime I ran the pickup for an extended length of time I would hear a loud bang and feel a thump coming from the back seat. Upon further investigation, I found it was the ammo can reacting to the changes in temp.

When you put out the cache, think about the large changes in temp throughout a day, a month, and even a year. If you place the cache on the ground where water can get to the seal, as that cache expands and contracts it can pull water into the cache.

Unless you are talking about placing a cache under water? :o

Then I agree with Briansnat. Buy a 'waterproof container'. B)

Otherwise, keep it away from water. :(

"Excuse me Captain Smith but I thought this boat was waterproof." said a passenger on the Titanic

The best way to make something waterproof is to keep it away from water. :blink:

I've seen alot of caches that claimed to be 'waterproof' but when I opened them up, I had to pour out the water and dry out the log book so I could sign in. It seems the waterproof caches hold water really well. :P

The problem is not with the seal of the container but the changes of temperature. I had a winter survival kit in an ammo can under the back seat of my pickup one winter. Everytime I ran the pickup for an extended length of time I would hear a loud bang and feel a thump coming from the back seat. Upon further investigation, I found it was the ammo can reacting to the changes in temp.

When you put out the cache, think about the large changes in temp throughout a day, a month, and even a year. If you place the cache on the ground where water can get to the seal, as that cache expands and contracts it can pull water into the cache.

Unless you are talking about placing a cache under water? :(

Then I agree with Briansnat. Buy a 'waterproof container'. :o

Otherwise, keep it away from water. B)

True that no container is absolutely waterproof, but I've rarely found an ammo box where the contents were wet and some of the ammo boxes that I've found were submerged part of the time and everything was dry inside.