When a cache has been muggled...

RkyMountainRose

I found a cache tonight that had been muggled, and I am guessing that was the first to find it like that. I signed that logbook and logged it as "needs maintenance," but can I also log it as a find, since I DID find it? Or do I have to wait until it's been repaired, go back, sign the log again, and THEN log it as a find?

Thanks!

If you signed the log then log it as a find. :D

I found a cache tonight that had been muggled, and I am guessing that was the first to find it like that. I signed that logbook and logged it as "needs maintenance," but can I also log it as a find, since I DID find it? Or do I have to wait until it's been repaired, go back, sign the log again, and THEN log it as a find?

Thanks!

Thanks!

The Needs Maintenance was brave of you (I am kidding).

Yes, you can log it as a Find.

You might want to check with others if it worries you though. I am sure there is a reason to object, I just can't figure out one myself. (more kidding, really, it is fine) :D

Edited by wavector

When I find a cache that has some sort of problem, such as being soaked with water, or having a lid that is broken, or anything that doesn't seem right, I post a log as usual, but I also send a note to the owner.

What I didn't realize until I had hidden some caches of my own is that the cache owner gets an automatic e-mail each time someone posts on the log page.

In some cases I didn't want to be too specific about the problem I noticed, especially if it would give away too much information about the cache location. So I click on the name of the cache owner, at the top of the cache page; that takes me to their profile page, and usually there is a way to e-mail the owner to give him or her any other information I didn't want to post as a visible item in the cache logs. If you only post a "needs maintenance" the owner may not realize it's a serious problem and needs to be taken care of quickly.

You signed the log, you found the cache.

If you have any spare parts with you, and can make repairs enough to do until the owner can get there, why not. If the cache is too badly damaged, instead of leaving swag, log, and litter, why not pick it up into a plastic bag, and let the owner know you have it. Could be a great way to meet another cacher when you to get together to exchange the goods, at the least it preserves what is left. If you are some distance from home, mail isn't that expensive.

Thanks for the quick responses, I will do just that. It was really depressing to find a muggled cache for the first time.

OT: Is there a list out there about "You might be addicted to Geocaching if..."?

Keep reading the forums. That topic pops up from time to time.