Windshields + GPSr

:)

OK, here is the question.

I would like to hear from anyone who has a vehicle with a metallic oxide windshield and what you were able to do to get your GPSr to work inside the vehicle.

I am looking at a vehicle with this type of windshield and need to know my options.

Comments please

I have a Pontiac Transport with the metallic windshields. In summary, with my Legend, I had to turn it on outside the car, wait until I got a lock, then bring it inside the car. I kept it mounted next to the driver's side window. If I turned it on inside the car, I would almost never get a signal unless rolled down the window and held it outside.

With my 60CSx, the SiRF chip seems to do a much better job. It still doesn't look like I get maximum signal, but at least I can get one, even if I turn it on inside the car. I can also mount it anywhere and still keep the signal.

If you don't have the SiRF chip, but you have a port for an external antenna, that might be the best route.

I have a Pontiac Transport with the metallic windshields. In summary, with my Legend, I had to turn it on outside the car, wait until I got a lock, then bring it inside the car. I kept it mounted next to the driver's side window. If I turned it on inside the car, I would almost never get a signal unless rolled down the window and held it outside.

With my 60CSx, the SiRF chip seems to do a much better job. It still doesn't look like I get maximum signal, but at least I can get one, even if I turn it on inside the car. I can also mount it anywhere and still keep the signal.

If you don't have the SiRF chip, but you have a port for an external antenna, that might be the best route.

Usually you have a place that is not metalized, close to the rear view mirror. It is intendend for card reader (used for toll, parking etc...)