One cache to the tune of another

We were out this weekend in the pouring rain, having fun looking for the usual plasic boxes and ammo cans. We were hot on the trail of one cache, reached a point that seemed to somewhat fit the description, although there were some variations from the description, but isn't that sometimes the case?

So I told ladysolly to "Look under there" (she does the low work, I do the high stuff, because my knees aren't as springy as hers, but my inches are more than hers). "Nothing here," she said. "Look harder," I suggested, confident that we were in the right place, so she did, and said, "Wait ..." and pulled out a plastic box.

"Aha! Found it" we both thought. Then I noticed the writing on the lid, which had the wrong cache name. And when I opened it up - sure enough, it was a completely different cache.

So we logged it as a find, well, we did find it, and if muggles can log an accidental find, we can too. And then some minutes later, I realised that we'd gone down completely the wrong footpath for the cache we were actually chasing, turned round, went the right way, and found our objective.

So the question is - has this happened to you? In this case, the hiding place was such a good place, it must have been quite likely that a cache would be there sooner or later (and that's why we searched there).

How far out was your GPSr reading?

So the question is - has this happened to you?......

Well, sort of...

I was out looking for Detect-A-Cache a few weeks ago but was having trouble finding the location. My GPSr kept losing its signal as well which didn't help. I moved well away from the tree canopy to try and get a better lock. While I was waiting I noticed that according to Memory Map, the position I was now standing at was only a few feet from another cache. I read the cache description for this "new" cache and left my GPSr to get a lock whilst I walked about 6 feet to find the new one. I found that one quite quickly and when I got back to my GPS it had regained its lock.

I set off for the Detect-A-Cache but still had no luck finding it. When I got home I found out I'd got a different answer for one of the questions and the co-ords I was using were actually about 2 miles out! :blink::blink:

Returned a fortnight later with the correct answer and found it after a long search with the help of shank's pony

I was on my way back to the car after finding the cache I went to bag, when I saw a great place to hide a cache. When i got there I found a geocache! Unusual? only in as much as the cache page had not yet been published and I had to wait 3 weeks - or thereabouts - before I could log a find. Guess what? It was an

FTF!

:blink::blink::blink::lol:

I seem to remember DRC doing that... he was out messing about with some mates three years before he started caching, found a box and wrote his name and his mates names in the log book....

Years later started caching, and realised he had already done this particular cache - and got an FTF on it all thoe years before!

Amazing!

This cache a week or so back http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...16-ff0e9d96f580

Turns out the cache I found was the original cache in the original hiding place for the puzzle. There was a gap between placing and publishing, and in that time the cache was muggled.

The owner placed a new one in a new place, and changed the puzzle.

Meanwhile, the muggles discovered what it was, and replaced it.

Here's where it gets interesting.......

You have to use a nearby building name in the puzzle, with the parking coords being at a Pub Car park (the pub isn't the building). Shortly after publishing, the pub changed name, and the new name also fits the puzzle - and gives you the coords of the original cache!

Turns out about half the finders have also been going to the wrong cache (which has now been removed)!

I seem to remember DRC doing that... he was out messing about with some mates three years before he started caching, found a box and wrote his name and his mates names in the log book....

Years later started caching, and realised he had already done this particular cache - and got an FTF on it all thoe years before!

Amazing!

That wasn't an FTF. He muggled the cache and his mates nicked the cache!