CITO Event questions and discussion Central Alberta

Dino Hunters

Hi Canada cachers.

I am writing this topic to ask some questions etc about organizing a CITO event in my neighborhood. I am considering organizing one, and plan to conscript the Youth club, I work with as volunteers to help out.

April 22, 2007 fits into our clubs schedule nicely as a day for holding this event. This is also Earth Day in the USA, but I understand that international Earth Day is Mar 21.

Do you think I might offend too many Canadians by holding the event on this day ? With the amount of snow that's fallen this winter, I'd be suprised if most of the trash would still be under snow in march. April 14, or 15th do not work for our club schedule at all.

Our Youth club is based in Ponoka, Alberta and I plan to hold the event in this area.

I've been reading all the CITO event tips in the CITO forum, and plan to have a fairly "basic" event here, but would appreciate any specific tips on this topic too.

Is there any cachers near enough to Ponoka who read this forum who would be interested in assisting, by maybe planting a new cache, or other wise helping out. Please post here or send me a message directly.

I will be contacting the town Monday to start planning with them. Local business next to see if they want to get involved.

Also I think it would be good if locals would post in this thread some expression of interest. I'll post the event as soon as possible once I know it is going to happen.

Thanks everyone.

D.H.

Edited by Dino Hunters

Is there any cachers near enough to Ponoka who read this forum who would be interested in assisting, by maybe planting a new cache, or other wise helping out. Please post here or send me a message directly.

Hi there. My parents are in Rimbey, I'll contact them and see if they know any local cachers who could help out.

Hi Canada cachers.

I am writing this topic to ask some questions etc about organizing a CITO event in my neighborhood. I am considering organizing one, and plan to conscript the Youth club, I work with as volunteers to help out.

April 22, 2007 fits into our clubs schedule nicely as a day for holding this event. This is also Earth Day in the USA, but I understand that international Earth Day is Mar 21.

Do you think I might offend too many Canadians by holding the event on this day ?

I don't think a single Canadian would be offended -- if anything they should be at least very grateful for what you are doing, or even better come and help out themselves!

I held a CITO event last year in January -- it was cold and sleety but we kept everyone warm with coffee and hot cider and Timbits and we collected a mountain of trash. It was a great event and I know yours will be, too.

H-C

Also I think it would be good if locals would post in this thread some expression of interest.

I would not worry too much about this factor, most of your local cachers do not read the forums at all but would see the cache listing. Many people will not commit on the cache page but they will show up on the day and even a few cachers can make a difference, every piece of trash collected will be a plus for your area. Do not be afraid to use the Earth Day connection, Earth Day has a big head start in getting people out to help, we organized a CITO event on Earth Day and it worked fine.

A few ideas that are a bit more specific;

Do not let your CITO event become just about caching, concentrate on highlighting the CITO aspect. We placed one cache for our CITO event in the area where we did our CITO.

Do not ask for too much time, most people will come out for half a day and work hard, a whole day is harder to arrange.

Plan on eating and socializing before you begin your cleanup activities, if all goes as planned then afterwards everyone will be tired and dirty. (and fulfilled, like the trash bags)

CITO events can be arranged anywhen, the date is not really important. International CITO Day is a symbol of our efforts moreso than THE day to do cleanups, CITO caches can be placed anytime.

You will find that working with your local city is a big plus, most municipalities will supply trash bags and allow free landfilling of the collected waste. Don't neglect the radio stations, newspapers and local TV stations, if they get a snail mail letter well beforehand they will often do coverage and add exposure for your event.

I applaud your efforts to get another CITO event organized in Alberta. Last year we had an inter-city challenge and hopefully we can get something similar started this year as well. Our first local CITO event will be held at the end of March and another will be held in April.

The importance of letting our children see that we care, of letting them see us go out and collect trash cannot be overstated. Doing is critical, we live in a world awash with words and actions speak so much louder, getting a local Youth Club involved is as great idea.