Magellan Geocaching Manager

smokingpipe

I am using Magellan Geocache Manager and it's already giving me grief. I have 120 .LOC files that I want to convert to my eXpolrist 500. I seems to only do 1 at a time. I like to do them all at once to save time. I tried to hold down CTRL and clicking on them but will not highlight. I even tried holding down SHIFT and clicking on them as well and still doesn't highlight them. Only one at a time. Is this a software problem. Has others been able to do this?

Getting the .loc files from the location to the Geocache Manager sucks. I can only select one at a time. After there are are in GM, then I can select all of them and transfer them all at once. I'm trying to do the same thing from the location folder to GM but it will not let me select them all at once. Would re-installing the software might fix things or is that "Windows XP" acting up?

I guess I did post this in the wrong spot. Opps, sorry. Thanks for moving it to the right spot.

It's either a GM thing or an XP thing. If GM took over ownership of .loc files in the registry (which I don't think it does), that would probably help things.

I'd offer three suggestions: try EasyGPS for a waypoint manager. It *does* take over .loc associations, so you should be able to open multiple loc files into the application at the same time. I'm uncertain if it opens multiple files separately or brings them all into one file, but you can drag and drop them into a single file. GSAK would certainly do what you want, but it effectively nags you for a registration fee (worthwhile IMO) after a trial period.

Second, if you do a search by zip code or something, you can get a page of 20 caches that you can download in a single loc file. That will consolidate things a bit.

The last suggestion is the better solution: pony up the bucks for a premium membership so you can download pocket queries of up to 500 caches at a time in gpx format. These contain more information than the loc files, and are the intended way to process larger batches of waypoints. You can start with a monthly membership to see if it's worthwhile to you or not.

This is quite confusing, took me a while to figure out. When you 'open' a .loc file, you have the option of opening as a new list or appending to existing list. The option is at the bottom of the 'open' window.

Hope this helps! :laughing:

Thanks for this tip! I'm a software developer and I never would have noticed the radio buttons :laughing: Not the place I would have expected to see that.