eXplorist XL Update (North America)

Photom

I had recently downloaded the EU version and it included 4 new nav screens, does the NA new version have the new nav screens also. Just curious if not I won't bother with the new NA ver. right now. The EU ver also includes a found cache feature also, does the NA ver have this too

Thanks, Joe

I downloaded the NA verson a week ago but had not had the time to look it over much. I saw your post and went looking. found the "auto reroute" turned it on and gave it a short test. I think this new feature is a big improvment. NA has the "found" in Geo mode! I used this one last week. when you mark a cache found it takes it off your list of caches and put a red check on the map over the cache icon. also has "Projection" in the NA... I have not had the time to try that one yet

Yes! I took my XL on a long day of caching yesterday and tried the new NA features.

I am impressed! Autorouting is quick to react - works very well.

Projection works great too, but you do have to change your North reference on another screen first (unless it is already in the right reference.) It would be neater if you had a check box for True/Mag right on the projection screen.

Not quite intuitive, but to get the projection distance in feet, you first enter a small mileage number - like .08. It then converts to feet which can be edited.

The "found feature" on geocaches is great. Wish it also included finds on POI's though.

All in all, a very nice surprize, thanks Magellan. :laughing:;)

I was just reading the instructions for the new ver update and it appears to state that the update must be uploaded to the sd card. Is this true? I don't see why this should be done to the sd card and not to the internal memory, or is there not enuf room on the internal memory for the new ver. update. if that is the case then this update stinks. Or is that an error. I strictly use the sd card for holding my cache information and do not what or see why the new version of firmware needs to be uploaded to the sd card

I was just reading the instructions for the new ver update and it appears to state that the update must be uploaded to the sd card. Is this true? I don't see why this should be done to the sd card and not to the internal memory, or is there not enuf room on the internal memory for the new ver. update. if that is the case then this update stinks. Or is that an error. I strictly use the sd card for holding my cache information and do not what or see why the new version of firmware needs to be uploaded to the sd card

I just checked my XL and find that the new update was installed into internal memory, not the SD Card.

I don't know where the info about the SD card came from, but it is incorrect.

When I did the update, there was a second update too - that updated the BASEMAPS.

What the heck??

After updating and using the XL last weekend, things have changed.

a. It still shows software version 9.2.10

b. Auto Re-route is still there

c. Projection is still there

BUT

d. "ACTIVE MAP" has reverted back to "ACTIVE SETUP" and

e. The additional nav screens are no longer there.

Any gurus want to explain this?? <_<:D

A large 22Mb download for so little noticeable difference. What is up with this,.... And why two separate installs, the V 1.55 and V 2.10. The GPS display showed V 9.2.10 but the GPS would not work the first time as it only installed the V 1,55. I had to clear memory and install a second time 3 or 4 hours later after fiddling with it and then the PC screen said that it was installing V 2.10.

Like PHOTOM's post above I also lost nav screens that I would like to still have as I enjoyed having all the bells/whistles just like what was on my Meri/Plat

I would think that after waiting for over a year for the XL firmware update that NOW if it is so important as to require a 22Mb download , that Magellan would make it seamless and IDIOT PROOF as the alternative is TOTAL FRUSTRATION and we still don't have the upgrades like the EU v1.55 ????????????? :(

The good news: I called Magellan and got in IMMEDIATELY!! That is a first.

The bad news: I'm losing my mind. The support tech said that the XL has only 4 screens. Never had any more. He checked with his supervisors who confirmed that "fact."

So, I guess I need to have a mental exam, as the 4 additional sceens I saw for a week were only in my imagination. :(

------------------

I was the first one to report this problem.......

The bad news: I'm losing my mind. The support tech said that the XL has only 4 screens. Never had any more. He checked with his supervisors who confirmed that "fact."

So, I guess I need to have a mental exam, as the 4 additional sceens I saw for a week were only in my imagination. :P

------------------

No you are ok i have the 4 extra screens, they appeared after i downloaded the EU ver 1.55. it appears that the new US ver is not for me as i like the 4 extra screens. Was on vacation last week and the cool thing was on the flight to SC i ran the xl. Read the alt and speed and tracked perfectly, kinda neat 565 mph at 34000 ft! Anyway I was going to upgrade to the new US ver but seeing the issues you others are having I will pass on that.

Is there a way for us to upgrade to the EU firmware or will our models not be compatible? It seems like your firmware is giving you much more features. The fact alone that the Topo Software requires you to convert Explorists files into legacy stuff leads me to believe there should be far better and greater abilities to this line of gps's

Is there a way for us to upgrade to the EU firmware or will our models not be compatible? It seems like your firmware is giving you much more features. The fact alone that the Topo Software requires you to convert Explorists files into legacy stuff leads me to believe there should be far better and greater abilities to this line of gps's

I just downloaded the EU updated ver. and followed the instruction and it's been working flawlessly ever since. It also appears to receive better in that before I never received waas sats and now i do also the accuracy is better , was averaging 15 to 20 now down to 8 to 15. Plus the 4 extra nav screens. I just was on vacation in SC and loaded all the caches in the area i was going to and it worked perfectly there also. Just loaded in a separate region for the area i was in via the topo and worked perfectly there. In between the things I had to do while there I cached some and was able to get 19 in a week in an area I never been before.

So, I guess I need to have a mental exam, as the 4 additional sceens I saw for a week were only in my imagination. :anibad:

------------------

Photom~

Are you thinking like I am thinking about reverting back to the EU V1.55 ??? You first then post if it works OK !! :P

So, I guess I need to have a mental exam, as the 4 additional sceens I saw for a week were only in my imagination. :anibad:

------------------

Photom~

Are you thinking like I am thinking about reverting back to the EU V1.55 ??? You first then post if it works OK !! :P

No, as recall the EU 1,55 had the extra screens, but did not have the auto-route feature.

Between those two featuress, autoroute is higher on my list.