Best Topo Software Garmin 60CSX

RednekF350

Can anyone give me their thoughts on the best topo software for this unit?

I just ordered the unit and I am going to order the Bluechart for the water but I need good land topo mapping software. Ideally, as close as possible to a USGS 7.5 minute quad type background.

Are there many choices?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Scott

Edited by RednekF350

Scott

I need good land topo mapping software. Ideally, as close as possible to a USGS 7.5 minute quad type background.

Are there many choices?

If you're willing to spend the time, you can make [not buy] your own 7.5 minute quality Topos. There is a current thread on doing this in this forum.

As a reference, a 15' x 15' map at 7.5' quality will take about 2-hours.

Hermit

Although you can't transfer its maps to the GPS unit, National Geographic Topo gives you 24K quad maps that will transfer waypoints, routes etc, both ways from and to your GPS. It also produces great printouts with 1000 meter lines, tick marks, elevations plots, etc. Their maps can also be transferred to a Pocket PC for real time view of location on their 24K maps, create waypoint and routes while in the field.

Edited by Alan2

Thanks everyone for their prompt replys!

I think I will order the Mapsource Topo Micro Sd and check out the thread on making the maps as well.

Thanks again.

Scott

You're better off not getting it on SD for two reasons. First off if you get the disc you can also run it on your desktop and plot caches, routes, etc... there, as well as print paper topo maps.

Second, if you decide to take advantage of the autorouting feature in your unit you'll need to purchase City Navigator. I could be wrong, but I don't believe you can run both City Navigator and Topo if you buy Topo on the SD card. You can run both concurrently if you use a standard "blank" card.

Basically your only choice is Mapsource Topo US. There is also a US Topo 24K but it only covers national parks.

What do you think about "TOPO! Pennsylvania, New Jersey National Geographic USGS Topographic Maps"?

Its a great product, but it won't run on your GPS. It will work with your GPS in that you can create routes and waypoints on your desktop and transfer them to your unit, or vice versa, but if you want maps on your unit you'll generally need to get Garmin's Mapsource.

There is a way to load other maps to the unit, but it takes some advanced computer skills, is not guaranteed to work correctly and could void your warranty.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe you can run both City Navigator and Topo if you buy Topo on the SD card. You can run both concurrently if you use a standard "blank" card.

I have both Topo and Navigator CD versions. Is it possible to load the Topo and Navigator maps for the same area and switch between them? I stopped using Top maps when I got Navigator because I couldn't figure out how to load the Navigator maps without overwriting the Topo's. I would like to be able to switch between them in the field.

Post Edit... Never mind. I searched the forums and found my answer.

Thanks.

Edited by boxochalk