Geocaching Etiquette

robinanddennis

We have run across several caches the last two times we've been out that have either been bulldozed under and are obviously no longer there, or are in really bad shape - cracked containers, infested with fire ants, thoroughly we contents, etc. My question is - should we be notifying the owners of the caches by email if we find problems? Or using the Needs Maintenance choice on the drop down instead of Find when we log it in? We've been just putting our comments nicely when we find or don't find the caches, but should we go the extra mile and do more? Don't want to step on any owner's toes, but I know some of the owners have hundreds of caches, and probably don't have time to read every log for every cache. Please advise this newbie - we want to do the right thing!

When you log your find it's fair to also comment about the cache being bulldozed or full of fireants. The onwer gets emailed the log so they know.

You can post a needs maintenance log but that's more work on your part since you should be logging your find or didn't find on the cache.

I read every log, other owners don't and look for the needs maintance log.

I haven't run into anything quite like that, but I have run into some issues with caches, like leaking containers, full logbooks, etc. What I do is post it in my comments when I log the find. Hopefully the owner will read them and take action. I wonder if I should send a separate Email to the owner in addition to this.

Any thoughts?

I haven't run into anything quite like that, but I have run into some issues with caches, like leaking containers, full logbooks, etc. What I do is post it in my comments when I log the find. Hopefully the owner will read them and take action. I wonder if I should send a separate Email to the owner in addition to this.

Any thoughts?

I would definitely log anything that would effect the next cacher's decision to hunt such as bulldozed or wet log then email the owner with additional details.

When we find a problem with a cache that seems to have recently occured we include that information in our log.

If the problem has been going on for a while then we do a "needs maintainance" log in addition to our find log.

If the problem is cronic (like several months old) and/or affects finding/logging the cache then we email the owner in addition to the "needs maintainance" log.

Rarely (like twice in three years) we have done a "needs to be archived" log. We save this for extreme circumstances.

After you have cached for a while you will develop a feel for how individual cache hiders maintain their caches. This will also affect how you handle these circumstances.

Good luck,

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

I write about my addiction - Tales from the FTF Trail

Any thoughts?

I would definitely log anything that would effect the next cacher's decision to hunt such as bulldozed or wet log then email the owner with additional details.

Any additional contacts/notifications should be posted on the cache page. It's the same as emailing the owner and it is best to have a documented history for the gc.com approver to reference. If they don't think the owner has been sufficiently notified they will do it themselves, which could simply extend the issue being resolved.

Thanks to all of you for your helpful comments. It sounds like we're headed the right direction with just the comments under the Find or Not Found entries, at least until we get to know some of the owners. We were not aware that the cache owners were emailed the logs when updated, but now we can rest easy, knowing that they do not have to search for each individual cache page to check the logs. Thanks again for all your friendly advice!

Robin and Dennis