GPS antenas rewiring ?

spawn51

Ok i have 2 GPS antenas that were given to me at work were we use them in a system we have mounted in the trucks for loging and delivery.The problem is the cable that come out of the units are for a plug exactly the same as those used for network cables on computer(CAT 5 i think they are)can they be done like in USB plug? they also have a plug in the midlle that looks like a Svideo plug that from there they go into the network plug thing?

Hey if they can be remade into USB whoever can do it can have 1 and give me one. :lol:

They can be redone into USB, no problem. You can either make up an adapter, ethernet port to USB, or cut and splice the ethernet onto a USB cable. It might take a little work to find the exact pinouts, but it can be done. Making up an adapter is probably the best plan.

Edited by NightPilot

Ok i have 2 GPS antenas that were given to me at work were we use them in a system we have mounted in the trucks for loging and delivery.The problem is the cable that come out of the units are for a plug exactly the same as those used for network cables on computer(CAT 5 i think they are)can they be done like in USB plug? they also have a plug in the midlle that looks like a Svideo plug that from there they go into the network plug thing?

Hey if they can be remade into USB whoever can do it can have 1 and give me one. :lol:

It sounds like you have "smart" antennas ie the antenna units have the receiver electronics in the antenna housing. If this is the case, then the connector you have, RJ45, might have both power and signal in it and you would need to know the pinouts before re-wiring it. In addition, you would have to know the protocol, ie messages formats that the thing transmits. Do you have a manufacturer and model number ?