Garmin 60Csx vs 76Csx

sleepyt

The 76 floats (which is handy feature for a 'water proof' unit) and it's flat so it fits in your pants pocket. I've used a 60 for a few years and recently had to make the same choice when I upgraded to the x. Had I not already had all the 60 gear (mount$, cable$, etc) I would have gone with the 76, because water proof at the bottom of a lake doesn't excite me! :huh:

P.S. 1 GB micro SD cards are going for $10 so add at least one of those to your purchase. That will hold half the USA roads.

Edited by Green Achers
I would have gone with the 76, because water proof at the bottom of a lake doesn't excite me!

The 60CSx is actually slightly smaller than the 76CSx:

60: 2.4" W x 6.1" H x 1.3" D

76: 2.7" W x 6.2" H x 1.4" D

and ever so slightly lighter:

60: 7.5 oz.

76: 7.6 oz.

I suspect the reason the 76 floats is that it has more "volume". The 60's antenna area has much less volume than the 76.

The 60CSx is very nearly neutral with alkaline batteries and will float with lithium batteries. There is an on-line video somewhere that shows it.

Just add one of those little keychain floats to the lanyard and it will easily float - and be even more visible as it goes over the rapids. Argh!!

The 76 is is preloaded with a marine point database - not true for the 60.

Edited by kenk

I have the 76CSX and I like it. I don't really mind the buttons on the top. And I just had to buy the handlebar mount to make it work with my old Geko auto mount.

The color screen and electronic compass is nice too. You can turn off the compass to save battery power. Turning off WAAS will also save batteries as will turning keeping the backlight off.

The screen works great in direct daylight, shade, and darkness (backlight must be used in darkness of course.)

And you can use packing tape for a screen protector. Just trim with a razor blade.

I have the 76csx and I think it is a great unit. So does the chap I go caching with. He has an older model Venture and you should hear him muttering when he has to go back to a clearing to get a signal--something I have not had to do yet and we have been in some pretty heavy forest. (West coast of BC) The one thing that stands out is how good it is on batteries compared to other unit. I seems that it last at least half again to twice as long on a set.

I've heard that 76 can be one-handed easier because, well, your thumb is naturally at the top of the unit when cradling it with one hand. Also the 76 comes with a 128mb card, the 60 comes with a 64mb card (but neither is sufficiently sized).

I've had a 60CSx for a short time, but I've not found thumbing its buttons uncomfortable at all. That was one of my concerns when I bought it, but the grippy-knobby rubber corners make it very holdable near the bottom.