My dealings with Garmin's refurbishing

roogie

I bought a used eTrex Vista from another motorcyclist in 2003. I use it quite a bit on my motorcycle and it has taken quite a bit of abuse. My screen had about 6 dead lines, one of the battery springs was completely flat from a bad battery, the click-stick would stop working intermittently, and the shell had a lot of wear from being in a RAM Mount. I also found out that the previous owner wired it directly to his Gold Wing's electrical system, completely bypassing the voltage step-down that the 12v adapter has built in.

Well, I mentioned these things to my friend who works at Garmin (I live about 10 miles from their world HQ) and he took it in to do the $129 refurbishment for out of warranty GPSrs.

They replaced the screen, battery contacts, click-stick and the entire outer shell. They also replaced one of the main boards due to it getting 12v from the previous owner, evidently it didn't pass their internal testing.

I got it back after 4 business days and it looks like a brand new unit. I had the older very blue colored backlight and this one now has the newer blue-gray backlighting. The shell has no marks and all the buttons and click-stick actions are crisp and solid.

If you are considering sending in a dead unit or fixing up your out of warranty GPSr, they do a great job.

roog