Sparta Mountain Day 2007 - Geocaching Volunteers

Team Rampant Lion

I will be leading a Geocaching demonstration and hike for Sparta Mountain Day 2007 which will be held at the Sparta Edison WMA in (you guessed it) Sparta, NJ. This is an area many of you are familiar with as I hosted my Caching Through The Snow Too event hike in this area and Treequest has many great caches here including Edisons Dark Rock Cache.

While the details are not yet set, they may be looking for multiple "tours" (easy, moderate, challenging) during the day. I am looking to see if any of you familiar with the area might be available to help if the group sizes get large. Would also be looking for anyone who could loan a GPS for a day. Once I see the demand on the sign up logs, I will follow-up with anyone posting interest in participating.

Thanks in advance.

TRL

Hey TRL,

My wife and I will be there to help out as needed. Let me know the details when you know more and how we may assist.

Excellent! I have not yet met with the host as he is on vacation and I have been swamped at work. But hope to get all the details within the next week or two.

I will be available and could lend my motor home to the event as a "geocaching command post". If you want to make a day of it, I have my camp stove and would be glad to cook up some food for the helpers if everyone contributes a bit.

I no longer have an aircard for broadband available but if anyone else does and there is reception I can set up a mac or two and even create a hotspot to access gc's website.

I also can do a paperless caching demo with my Treo700 is you think its appropriate and not to far over the heads of the attendees.

Lastly, I think you should make this an event cache! Just a thought.

Hey TRL,

My wife and I will be there to help out as needed. Let me know the details when you know more and how we may assist.

Excellent! I have not yet met with the host as he is on vacation and I have been swamped at work. But hope to get all the details within the next week or two.

I will be available and could lend my motor home to the event as a "geocaching command post". If you want to make a day of it, I have my camp stove and would be glad to cook up some food for the helpers if everyone contributes a bit.

I no longer have an aircard for broadband available but if anyone else does and there is reception I can set up a mac or two and even create a hotspot to access gc's website.

I also can do a paperless caching demo with my Treo700 is you think its appropriate and not to far over the heads of the attendees.

Lastly, I think you should make this an event cache! Just a thought.

Actually, I did try to make it an event cache but the way I wrote it up did not qualify. Because the event itself (Sparta Mountain Day) is not uniquely for geocachers it didn't fit.

I was thinking of resubmitting an event cache at a new bar in Sparta (about 10 minutes away) to follow the Sparta Mountain Day. I would buy a beer for anyone who helped but anyone could join us.

Let me ask the host about the motor home idea. I don't know if you've been to Rykers Lake area but the road back there might be a challenge depending on the size of your vehicle. You would probably need to be there real early to get a decent spot as they are suggesting several hundred attendees. I don't know where they are going to put them all anyway. But I do like the idea.

I will keep you posted.

Edited by Team Rampant Lion

I am checking with my Cub Scout Leaders to see if the Pack wants to participate. If you want to, you can make the event a Post Sparta Mountain Day cook out for the geocaching volunteers and geocachers that well geocached the day away. I am at you disposal!

Bumping this one up as we are about a week away. Also need to do a roll call to see who can still help out.

Thanks,

TRL

OK My wife & I will be there to help out, but I think you know that already. I got all but the stone room cache in the area. We picked up a few more caches on Saturday so we should be in good shape for next weekend.