GPX File question

Insp Gadget

When I receive my GPX file each night, there are 2 filesn in the archive. The actual GPX file and another one called 878455-wpts . Can someone tell me what this last file is for??

Thanks!

Sometimes these are very helpful and it is a good bet that they mean something, otherwise the cacher who placed the cache wouldn't worry about doing so. You may find that you will approach the cache from a different direction, or know that you will have to walk a distance to get to the actual cache site, if you use these. Sometimes cachers will leave these out intentionally to make it more difficult, such as a cache I went hunting recently that had what looked like an obvious approach up to the border of a highway, turns out the cache was on the other side of the highway and it was going to take miles to go around and get to the actual location. Left it for another day to finish as it was getting dark.

Hope this helps some...

That's really cool ... but why are the additional waypoints in a separate file? They seem like they'd be as handy as any of the other GPX content. And the waypoint file I get from a PQ is always MUCH smaller than the main GPX file ... why have two at all?

Because not all cachers use them. Some people just want to download their PQ of 500 caches and dump it into their PDA and GPSr. If the additional waypoints were included in the original file, there would be either more than 500 waypoints (in which many cachers would have to delete some to get them into their GPSrs, or there would be fewer than 500 caches, thereby angering some cachers.