Trip Computer Page - Missing Data

MtnHermit

I took a five-mile hike yesterday, according to the trip computer. The page had all manner of date useful and not. For whatever reason the elevation field was blank. When I marked and recalled waypoints the elevation was there and seemed correct. I'd estimate I gained and lost 1000 feet in total.

Any ideas why the field was blank?

Thanks

Hermit

I took a five-mile hike yesterday, according to the trip computer. The page had all manner of date useful and not. For whatever reason the elevation field was blank. When I marked and recalled waypoints the elevation was there and seemed correct. I'd estimate I gained and lost 1000 feet in total.

Any ideas why the field was blank?

Thanks

Hermit

Did you by any chance save the track from your hike, and then extract this faulty data from the saved track?

Are you saying that the elevation was blank all of the time? It should show a value as long as the unit is on and getting a 3D fix.
I don't know, I only looked at the Trip Computer Page when I got back from my hike. All the other Trip Computer Page data fields were "correct" at that time; Trip Miles, Moving Miles, Stationary Miles, etc. When I saved each waypoint, there was an elevation present and appeared correct. I can recall every waypoint and the elevation is present on all.

When I checked the Satellite Page I was seeing 6-8 satellites each time, but don't recall seeing the 3D symbol, not used to looking for it, yet. Another part of my training.

Thanks

Hermit

Did you by any chance save the track from your hike, and then extract this faulty data from the saved track?
I did save the track data to my SD card, ~24KB. As to extracting, don't yet know how to do that. I'm most interested in getting the Trip Computer "fixed", the data in-and-of-itself is not really the issue. In any case ready to learn a new skill.

Thanks

Hermit

I don't know, I only looked at the Trip Computer Page when I got back from my hike. All the other Trip Computer Page data fields were "correct" at that time;....

Hermit

Was the GPS on at the time? It needs to be ON and receiving a 3D position in order to show an "elevation". Note that this is the CURRENT elevation.

Was the GPS on at the time? It needs to be ON and receiving a 3D position in order to show an "elevation". Note that this is the CURRENT elevation.
Ooohhh!!!

That does make a difference, in the context of a Trip Computer Page having CURRENT data is misleading to a rookie. Clearly, I was looking for summary data, like all the other fields.

Thanks

Hermit

Ooohhh!!!

That does make a difference, in the context of a Trip Computer Page having CURRENT data is misleading to a rookie. Clearly, I was looking for summary data, like all the other fields.

Thanks

Hermit

The trip computer page data (like most others) has fields that are changable. You can display any field you want on that page.

The Venture Cx does not record total elevation gain or loss. You need to have a unit with a barometer for those functions such as the Vista Cx.

The Venture Cx does not record total elevation gain or loss. You need to have a unit with a barometer for those functions such as the Vista Cx.
That's kind of silly, since all the other data is no more that summation of position, what does it matter if its x-y or z data?

Clearly you can't answer this, its just a rant. :drama:

Hermit

Actually I can.....

The GPS derived altitude is much less accurate than the horizontal position. In areas of reduced reception the value can fluctuated quite a bit and even be lost. Due to this, recording changes in altitude give very bad results. The units with barometers can have a nice stable altitude change and can record the changes fairly well.

Actually I can.....

The GPS derived altitude is much less accurate than the horizontal position. In areas of reduced reception the value can fluctuated quite a bit and even be lost. Due to this, recording changes in altitude give very bad results. The units with barometers can have a nice stable altitude change and can record the changes fairly well.

I know you're tired of being right all the time, but . . .

I took a hike today and at the high point I sat down for 20 min with the altitude display on. Well it drifted up and down continously over a range of ~30 feet. A barometric altimeter might have drifted 5-20 feet but it would have stopped and not continued to go up and down.

Again one test is worth one-thousand expert opinions.

Hermit