rss feeds

pocketpupsnet

I think it would be cool to get RSS feeds to each state's page. The latest hidden caches could be an article each and the links could go to the cache pages. I don't think I'd really care to have an rss feed for each cache, that seems a bit over the top in my mind.

I'd suggest that premium members are allowed to create own RSS feeds, for various uses: iGoogle, IE7 & other browsers with RSS support, mobile 3G phones with RSS readers.

Would enable geocaching information to a wider range off contexts, and would make it <buzzword>web 2.0</buzzword> :-).

Could be restricted to country/state (web)administrators to create these, though.

Feeds could be like these (in Danish): http://www.geocaching.dk/statistikker/cachestatus.asp

/JLOT

I would love to be able to subscribe to my geocaching friends finds page. I would love to be able to show my last five found, or something like, on my blog, or family photo pages. People who don't geocache but have a gps in their new phone or car will have a context and one click access to geocaching.com to see how much I enjoy it and maybe they'll see the ads on the pages too. These feeds could only be available to premium members to create (if absolutely necessary). Peer recommendation is the key to monetisation of the new web. RSS provides the arteries for delivering it.

Google and Yahoo are gently introducing rss usage to the masses. The releases of Windows Vista and IE7 puts rss at the heart of the browser and desktop experience. The examples of Facebook, Twitter, wordpress, slashdot, the BBC, etc shows that freeing data means people love you more and come back more often. Islands of data restrict the spread of the good word about geocaching.com.

Judicious use of rss feeds mean that the load on the servers can be more spread and reduce the mail server load as many people may not feel the need to have email notifications if they are subscribed to area updates. More (cached) static files are served on 2 hour update cycles (for example), rather than repeated dynamic results nailing the asp servers during the busy periods.

RSS feeds will enable geocaching.com to open itself to greater ease of use, and web penetration, with a more scalable data delivery. It will therefore be more visible and usable by more current and prospective users, opening itself to innovative mashups by passionate developers and ensuring its continued relevance in the burgeoning Web 2.0 and social networking scene.

A final thought: in an era of medium to low-end GPS enabled mobile phones, can you imagine what an opportunity geocaching.com would have if it developed a plug-in app to FaceBook with it's 31 million tech-savvy users and proven meme propagation?

An RSS feed on a forum search would be nice too. Then I'd see posts of interest when I'm checking all my other RSS feeds for news and such. Does the Forum software already have such a feature that is currently turned off? I would think that any new forum application would include RSS 2.0 feeds these days. It seems that it could be implemented along with the indexing code. I'm seeing RSS feeds not only with blogs and news but also with lots of specific site searches.

Nudecacher

RSS feeds for many of the Groundspeak Forums sections can be found by clicking on the RSS button at the lower left of the screen.

Humm, ... thank you. I hadn't noticed those. That's a start, but I was thinking more in the line of an RSS feed on the comments in a forum topic and especially searches on the comments. Anyway, keep up the good work.

Nudecacher

I also came here looking for ways to export my aggregated logs to RSS (or other XML format, but preferably RSS). I'd like to write a WordPress plugin to gather my cache logs and display them as a category on my blog, but need access to my own data to do it! RSS is a fact of life these days, no longer something considered an optional or fancy feature. Really looking forward to seeing this!

Thanks,

Scot

What do you think the ability to RSS Feed your cache and cache logs to your own blog if your cache is not a priority only listing.

It would be nice to personalize your cache profile like a blog page, but if that is not possible we could rss to our blogs?

Absolutely. It's stuff like this that rss enables. Things the original creator of the rss feed cannot think about as they do not have the time, or the varying experiences of each person that will use them.

I would like an rss feed of anything I log, which I would combine with the feeds of the logs of each of my hides and publish elsewhere.