Placing a cache

mgbmusic

So I placed my first cache today and am getting ready to write it up. Quick question. Used 2 GPSr's sitting on top of the cache for coords. Should I average them? for example:

N99 99.999 + N99 99.997

------------------------------ = N99 99.998 ?

Both GPSr's showed accuracy within 20-30 ft after sitting for aobut 5 mins or so (a couple games of solitaire).

What say you?

--MGb

P.S. I may have more questions and if so will post them in here when I think of them..

I always use the average feature on my gps. I'll let it sit for a bit, and let it average something like 300 waypoints.

In your case you could try it, but if you are only going to be working with a total of three sets of coords when you are done, i'd check them all. Come back the next day, and try punching in all three. Walk 100 feet away, and hunt for your cache. See which set gets you closer. Remember to follow the arrow like you normally would. I did that, and found myself walking towards my cache, regardless of where the arrow was pointing. You just have to pretend to be another cacher.

well...

NOBODY

Expects the

Geocache Inquisition!!!!

panic.gif

(very sorry, I couldn't help myself. :blink: )

I usually take a reading and make a waypoint, wait a few minutes, take another,

walk far away, come back, take another, After I havea whole mess of waypoints,

I manually look and add one manually in the spot that seems to be most likely.

(I find it to be a bit more accurate that way. I've never had a DNF on one of my caches)

Edited by Bad_CRC

So I placed my first cache today and am getting ready to write it up. Quick question. Used 2 GPSr's sitting on top of the cache for coords. Should I average them? for example:

N99 99.999 + N99 99.997

------------------------------ = N99 99.998 ?

Both GPSr's showed accuracy within 20-30 ft after sitting for aobut 5 mins or so (a couple games of solitaire).

What say you?

Pick one, and go with it. You know what they say about a man with two watches....

Don't average, unless you have a way of automating the procedure, and can take a couple of hundred reading. A manual sample is going to be too small, and may actually make your coordinates worse, instead of better.