Asked for Help

BlueFrogGirl

I am very new to this, I have found 3 caches so far. I have question. If another person e-mails and asks for clues to a cache you have found what is the protocal. I am not sure if I should give hints or not and how specific to be. I was actually suprise to be asked for help since I am such a neophite.

:ph34r:

You can or not. It's up to you.

Whether you give hints or not is up to you. It's a matter of personal preference. My own philosophy is that the cache belongs to the cache owner, and (s)he is the person who should decide whether to give hints. Thus, when approached, I usually refer the person to the owner. But I do it in as polite a way as I can.

I am very new to this, I have found 3 caches so far. I have question. If another person e-mails and asks for clues to a cache you have found what is the protocal. I am not sure if I should give hints or not and how specific to be. I was actually suprise to be asked for help since I am such a neophite.

:ph34r:

You can or not. It's up to you.

That's about it.

If it's not clear you could ask if they want a little, medium, or big hint.

Hi BlueFrogGirl, welcome! If you're uncomfortable and not sure what to do, you could forward the email to the cache owner. I was in a similar situation once and I gave a very generic (and cryptic) clue. It was also an extremely useful clue if the cacher was paying attention. Cachers are a friendly, helpful bunch and we've all needed a hint now and again.

I am also somewhat new at this. As the others have said, it's pretty much up to you. I have never been asked for a hint, but my thoughts at the moment are that if I thought that the person has made a sincere attempt at finding the cache rather than just being lazy about it, I would be more inclined to give a hint. However, how you would know that from a simple email, I don't know.

Good luck with your geocaching endeavors. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.