was there at one time

sshuff

went searching for a BM located at a railway station that ran from 1900 to 1950. In 1950 they tore the tracks up and all that is left is in the ground. In 1992 the michigan dept of transportation had recovered it in good condition. Looking at the concrete it looks similar to other BM found that were set out buy the coast and geodetic survey. there is a picture on the log and the PID is ok0309. I dont want to log this one as broken but it might be.

Tough to say. We can't tell from your posting how you located the object you photographed. How many of the reference items remain? Were you able to take any of the specified measurements? The coordinates are scaled, and therefore not tremendously helpful. According to the current NGS data sheet, a professional survey team reported in 1999 that they could not find the mark. By the way, what is the darker gray rectangle in the center of your photo?

sshuff, it appears that you have found a base for a post of some sort. Was it only nine feet from where the north rail was? The disk would have been between the 2 set of tracks.

The concrete doesn't appear to match other "concrete posts" that have had disks set in them, it appears too uneven in its shape.

It is really hard to determine if the rectangle is actually a hole in the concrete of just off coloring.

John

fyi

OK0309

OK0309 HISTORY - Date Condition Report By

OK0309 HISTORY - 1934 MONUMENTED CGS

OK0309 HISTORY - 19920826 GOOD MIDT

OK0309 HISTORY - 19990101 MARK NOT FOUND SDI

OK0309 HISTORY - 20011205 MARK NOT FOUND NGS

OK0309

OK0309 STATION DESCRIPTION

OK0309

OK0309'DESCRIBED BY COAST AND GEODETIC SURVEY 1934

OK0309'AT GREENVILLE.

OK0309'AT GREENVILLE, 47 FEET FROM THE NORTHEAST CORNER OF THE GRAND

OK0309'TRUNK RAILWAY STATION, 36 FEET FROM THE SOUTH RAIL OF THE PERE

OK0309'MARQUETTE RAILWAY, 9 FEET NORTH OF THE NORTH RAIL OF THE GRAND

OK0309'TRUNK RAILWAY, AND 7 FEET FROM THE SOUTHWEST CORNER OF A SWITCH

OK0309'TOWER. A STANDARD DISK, STAMPED C 99 1934 AND SET IN THE TOP

OK0309'OF A CONCRETE POST PROJECTING 8 INCHES ABOVE GROUND.

OK0309

OK0309 STATION RECOVERY (1992)

OK0309

OK0309'RECOVERY NOTE BY MICHIGAN DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION 1992

OK0309'RECOVERED IN GOOD CONDITION.

OK0309

OK0309 STATION RECOVERY (1999)

OK0309

OK0309'RECOVERY NOTE BY SDI CONSULTANTS 1999 (RL)

OK0309'THIS MARK WAS NOT FOUND BY OUR SURVEY CREW IN JANUARY OF 1999. DUE TO

OK0309'HEAVY CONSTRUCTION IN THE AREA, IT IS LIKELY THAT THE MONUMENT WAS

OK0309'DESTROYED.

OK0309

OK0309 STATION RECOVERY (2001)

OK0309

OK0309'RECOVERY NOTE BY NATIONAL GEODETIC SURVEY 2001 (DB)

OK0309'THIS REPORT WAS SUBMITTED BY THE US POWER SQUADRONS.

Edited by Z15

Sounds to me like the mark is NOT FOUND.

If you make measurements from definite objects and probe/metal detect/dig at the indicated location and don't find it, then maybe it is Destroyed on geocaching site.

If the concrete matches such measurements, and you see a remaining piece of the stem from the disk, still in the concrete, and an impression of the disk in the concrete, that is a stronger indication.

If you carefully compare the size and shape of the concrete a little below the surface and it matches a FOUND mark nearby in the same series, same year, that would be some indication for destroyed. But without measurements you aren't sure it was the same disk you were looking for.

The NGS generally won't declare a disk Destroyed unless they see a picture of it out of position (maybe some exceptions but not common).

IT looks like the right spot but its hard to tell lots of tracks going every which way and the station is pretty much gone. Ive been trying to locate more info on this area but there seems to be a lack of detailed map. I have found some old picures that might help me get some better idea of what it looked like back then. I'm going back out there to take some measurement and see if I can close the case on this one and move on to the next. Thanks for the replys.

sshuff co.