Travel Bugs

Scouter John

I have no idea what people are thinking. I had one that was supposed to circulate only in one county as it contained the combination for a local cache. The TB page said not to take it out of the county and there was a tag on the TB asking not to take it out of the county. The second person who picked it up brought it to another state :D

Similarly, I picked up a TB in a cache in NJ and immediately got an e-mail from the owner. The TB had the key to a cache in MA and was not supposed to travel more than 20 miles from the cache. The TB page stated this. Of course someone brought it to NJ, so I had to mail the TB back to the owner.

They have to read the page if they log the TB. My guess is that they just don't care.

They have to read the page if they log the TB. My guess is that they just don't care.

If there's nothing attached to the bug itself that indicates a goal, a cacher may grab a bug from a cache, not knowing that there would be a bug there. The bug gets grabbed and only when the cacher returns from his 700 mile flight and sits down at his computer does he log the TB and read that it was in a cache 14 miles from its goal.

I've had that happen - numerous times. But you know what? It's better than a bug going missing. Of my 28 released hitchhikers (one pre-dating Travel Bugs), 15 have gone missing. Of the 13 remaining ones, only 4 have been either placed or picked up in the last 90 days. One has been sitting in a cache for just under a year.

If a bug almost gets to its goal, but then takes a last minute detour half-way around the world, IMHO, that doesn't really hurt the bug. It just "extends" its travels. I don't get mad at stuff like that. I save my "mad" energy for people that put the bug in their glove compartment and forget about it - and not even log it. :D

:D

I was just woundering why some cachers don't seem to read the pages for travel bugs. To see what their mission is befor they take it to far.

This has happened twice with one of my geocoins

Big problem with me as well! People have NO respect for others or the wishes of others is the problem. It is common practice around the geocaching community. My Bison TB has a mission to visit Yellowstone NP. It has a mission tag on the TB, but someone from Buffalo thought it would be appropriate to take it to Buffalo NY. How disrespectful is that!

Edited by The Justice League of NM